cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Concerning PRE-RECORDING: a question for Canon developers

bjorneo
Contributor

Dear Canon,

As someone working in wildlife I'm a big fan of the "pre-recording" function, also known as pre-roll on other cameras. This is where RED dominates most cameras as it gives you, I don't know, is it up to 30 seconds pre-record? In any case it's more than 20 seconds, which is extremely useful and a big reason to opt for RED on certain productions.

The Canon C300 Mark III is a beautiful camera, but it offers only approx. 2 seconds pre-recording. It doesn't work in conjunction with slow & fast motion, and the C300 Mark III pre-recording doesn't work with RAW. For these reasons, the C300 Mark III pre-record is somewhat useless in my case, which is a pity because its potential is so powerful.

I don't understand the technical constraints that restrict pre-recording to only 2 seconds and only three set frame rates (23.98p, 29.97p, 59.94p), and why it doesn't work with slow & fast motion or RAW. 

How are the pre-record restrictions brought about? Could the C300 Mark III potentially increase its abilities here with a firmware update? 

2 REPLIES 2

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

My guess is RAM.  With the 410 Mbps codec, 30 seconds would require 1.5 GB of memory.  More for higher frame rates and definitely more for RAW. 

You can provide feedback to Canon by visiting their Home Page and clicking on the Feedback link under the Contact section (bottom of page).

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

bjorneo
Contributor

I am new to forum life - still figuring it out. Thanks for this, Ricky. 

Announcements