cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 709 Lut for the R5C. Is it coming?

Jdecasseres
Contributor

Hey Canon family, 

Do we know if Canon 709 Lut is coming to the R5C? It was released for the C70, makes sense to add it to the R5C as well.

8 REPLIES 8

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Are you speaking to being able to apply a Rec.709 LUT in camera? Or are you looking for a download to apply that LUT in post?

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Specifically add the new Canon 709 LUT to my camera. Canon did this through a firmware update to the C70.

I have both those cameras, and I can see the feature you're referring to.  But it's only for proxies -- right?  I don't record proxies in camera so I don't use this, but even if I did, it wouldn't bother me.  It looks like it's just allowing two slightly different colour styles for how proxies are converted to Rec 709.

Personally I would record proxies with no colour conversion, so I can colour them in post the same way as the originals.

In any case, no, I have no idea when, or whether, this will come to the R5C.  Seems logical that it should, but who knows.

Hi Atticus, 

Thank you for your reply.  The Canon 709 Lut works with the full file and proxies. That’s why it’s so valuable. It’s a great color profile for projects that do not require color grading. You can use it as is and quickly finish a project. Give it a try on your C70 and share your thoughts please. I would like to know what you think about it and if you can use it professionally. 

@Jdecasseres wrote:

The Canon 709 Lut works with the full file and proxies.

I'm afraid I don't know what that means.  I can see how the new 709 feature works for proxies, under "Proxy Rec Color Conversion".  But I can't see any way that it applies to what you call "the full file".  Can you tell me how that works, please?

Obviously you can just record Rec 709, by selecting a Rec 709 CP; but that's not a new feature, and it's something the R5C has always had.

In your C70 under picture profiles, compare BT 709 to Canon 709. You will see Canon 709 has more color and better contrast than BT 709( Rec 709). The R5C has BT 709( Rec 709), but not Canon 709. They are different. If you don't see Canon 709 in your C70 menu, you will need to upgrade your firmware.  I hope that helps. Feel free to let me know. 

OK, I see what you mean... but that's not a LUT, you're just selecting the colour space to save to.

I don't have any idea what Canon 709 is; I mean you say it has more colour, but does that just mean they just cranked up the sat?

Anyhow, if you're not doing grading in post, I can see how this could be useful.  And yes, it would make sense for Canon to provide it on the R5C.  Since they run the same OS, there's hope that they will.

Personally I always shoot Log, so I never see these options.

I agree, for now I just shoot in log. Mostly C log 3 because I can match it easier between C70 and R5C. Though I prefer C log 2. I’m sure it’s more than a sat boost and it’s pretty nice straight out of camera. Thank you for your input. It’s greatly appreciated. Have an awesome day!

Announcements