cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

C300 Mk II - super muddy image

emcc126
Apprentice

Footage on my c300 mk ii has gotten really muddy and the image quality is absolutely awful. The parade scope is super blocky with not much nuance/detail. I compare it to footage from another c300 mk ii that had the same settings, and there is much more detail/nuance in the color scopes. I'd attach some screenshots if I could!

This has been happening on all shoots over the past year. The footage is basically unusable at this point.

What could be causing this, and how can I fix it?

7 REPLIES 7

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Please provide images of video frames or screenshots showing various scopes.  Click on the "Insert Photos" icon when adding/editing a new reply here.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

emcc126
Apprentice

Here are screenshots from two C300 on the same shoot, same day, same settings. The "bad" one has the very blocky scopes, whereas the "good" one has fairly nuanced scopes.Bad C300 image with no color correction - scopes are very blockyBad C300 image with no color correction - scopes are very blockyDifferent C300 with same settings and no color editing - scopes seem more nuancedDifferent C300 with same settings and no color editing - scopes seem more nuanced

Wondering if it could be as simple as cleaning the sensor? If so, what's the safest way to go about that for the C300 Mk II specifically?

I know it's a pain in the arse but have you done Black Balance's when you turn up at the new locations? ie, taken sense off and put came on EF mount and run BB? I was not happy with my C300 MK II when I got it first and started applying BB at beginning of shoot. It did sort a lot out, crazy that we should have to do it though! Sensor changes with temperature etc. 😂 I just uploaded some screen grabs from what I can get from mine, if you are interested.

Thanks for the reply! I haven't tried that, but will look into it. Where can I see the screen grabs you're referring to?

Sorry I was posting it to the FCP forum, here is one, from Canon C300 MKII after having maintenance service with Canon UK and BB at start of shoot. I'm about to upload about 100 screen grabs from different real world tests, this was shot in CLOG3 and had a straight Canon LUT applied. I'll let you know when they are uploaded to my website. Your wide does seem very muddy. The BB basically tells the camera to reset the sensor and map it out again and can get rid of a lot of problems, a Canon rep told me this at one of the pro shows in the UK. Hope this helps/ C

Canon C300 MKII, EF 24-105mm f4L IS USM at 50mm(FF 73mm) f5.6 CLOG3 to REC709 Canon LUT

J-24_EF24-105mm-f4L-IS-USM_50mm(73mm)-f5.6-CC.jpg

I find I'm also putting the skin tones at around 50-55 IRE, so it looks a bit hot in EVF. I think the 38 or whatever it is, is a bit conservative. Your wide shot was difficult because of the sky but probably could have rode this a bit higher and given more exposure to the subject. In the CU it's not so much of an issue as sky is minimal. I find you can pull quite a lot back from the highlights. That could also be another reason why a bit muddy. Were you shooting CLOG2? C

By "blocky" scopes, do you mean the one showing clipped highlights?   Not sure exactly what you mean by "blocky".

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers
Announcements