cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

imagePROGRAF PRO-1000 clogged head

dkoretz
Contributor

The MBK part of my head is clogged. My bad: I make sure to print from time to time to prevent this, but it didn't occur to me to print in matte paper from time to time to protect against clogs.

Two regular cleanings didn't work. I just did a deep cleaning, and it STARTED to work--about 25% of the test pattern for MBK now prints. the rest remains blank.

Is there any harm in doing multiple deep cleanings? I vaguely recall reading a warning years ago, but I can't find it.

The alternative is a new head, which along with the ink wasted in a head replacement costs nearly as much as the printer.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Turns out that a system cleaning is just a deeper head cleaning, according to a Canon tech. So I did that, and it cleared the clog. Printing fine now. the whole process (several regular cleanings, 3 deep cleanings, and a system cleaning) used a lot of ink, but still vastly cheaper than replacing the head, which also uses ink.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

jrsforums
Contributor

As I remember, it is best to wait a bit.  Do some normal printing.  Then you can do another deep clean.  Doing them back to back can damage the head.

That's what they recommend. Ideally wait 24 hours between deep cleanings, but not more than 2 in a day. I think the issue is the heat generated.

I did wait the prescribed time, and the deep cleanings were not enough. I then waited another day and did a system cleaning, which finally got rid of the clog.

dkoretz
Contributor

Thanks. Deep cleaning on two days didn't solve the problem. I have been trying to find out when a "system cleaning" makes sense. Since all of the other 11 colors print perfectly, I assume a system cleaning would be a waste. Does anyone know this? Nothing I've found online answers this, and Canon is closed until Monday

Turns out that a system cleaning is just a deeper head cleaning, according to a Canon tech. So I did that, and it cleared the clog. Printing fine now. the whole process (several regular cleanings, 3 deep cleanings, and a system cleaning) used a lot of ink, but still vastly cheaper than replacing the head, which also uses ink.

Now that you have it cleaned, I’d suggest a plan to keep it clean.  I use Qimage Ultimate to regularly print ‘unclog’ sheets (1/2 page) with one for photo and one for matte black.

https://youtu.be/ZHqneKbQtmI?si=bv8_QmAPHK-GgRqO

I agree, it's important to have a plan to keep it clean, but I can do that fine with the software I usually use for printing, which is Lightroom. I've done this with a prograf 1000 for years with no problems at all. My mistake is forgetting about matte black ink. I used to print often enough--very rarely, but apparently often enough--that MBK wasn't a problem. However, this time, I went many months without using MBK. I won't make that mistake again.

How do you set up LRc to automatically do the printing on a timed basis?

I don't. I just print from time to time. 

Announcements