cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pro 100 new firmware and driver installed, now blue sky is printing purple

xJohnnyO23x
Apprentice

Hello, 

I have had my Canon Pro 100 for about 6 years and it has given me great service (with the V 2.001 firmware).  I use Adobe Photoshop Elements 15 as my photo editing and printing software.  The Photoshop program has a print popup dialog to remind the user to turn off printer managed color.  Today, I tried to print an A3+ size landscape with deep blue sky.  It looked great, except for a single horizontal white line with each printer head pass in the blue sky.  I did print head cleaning via front button and then nozzle check.  Test pattern for nozzle check looked perfect.  Tried printing the photo again and still had horizontal line.  The Canon community articles said to use the deep cleaning via windows method.  In order to do that, it appeared I had to upgrade the firmware (upgraded to V2.031) and also update the Windows Driver from WS to XPS.  I then did the windows method deep clean, the nozzle check, print head auto alignment. All those tests appeared to check out.   My results are: 1. The horizontal line is now gone. 2. All colors except blue look correct, but a little different in the updated firmware print.  3.  Blues are now printing as purple (Yech) with the updated firmware and driver.  I have noted that the upgraded driver gives a boat load more options, but I am unable to determine which options are pertinent to this blue color printing as purple issue.

I highly suspect that somewhere in the printer driver dialogs color management is turned on (where I need it to be turned off). 

Below are the following images:  Photo as shown in Photoshop.  A comparison of the print done with the original firmware and driver (on the right) and the print done with the new firmware and driver (on the left). The nozzle check done with original firmware and with the new firmware (both look correct, no streaks). And some images of the settings in both Photoshop and in the printer driver dialog windows. 

I have also reviewed community articles of others having this problem, but I seem to be the first to have had many years of good printing results, but then have the purple issue happen after updating the firmware and driver.

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide!!!

Image as it looks in Photoshop Elements

xJohnnyO23x_0-1661999964143.png

Print with new drivers on left and with original drivers on right

xJohnnyO23x_1-1662000093986.png

Nozzle check with new drivers on top and old drivers on bottom.  Both look good.

xJohnnyO23x_2-1662000156855.png

Photoshop Elements dialog, Photoshop Elements manages colors.

xJohnnyO23x_3-1662000388187.png

Basic Pro 100 Driver Settings

xJohnnyO23x_4-1662000447218.png

Pro 100 Advanced Driver Settings

xJohnnyO23x_5-1662000512835.png

xJohnnyO23x_6-1662000571950.png

xJohnnyO23x_7-1662000610597.png

xJohnnyO23x_8-1662000680780.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

You need to select the paper ICC profile where it says Printer Profile:

Screenshot 2022-08-31 231621.jpg

Click the dropdown and select the profile for Canon Photo Paper Plus SemiGloss.

Also, where it has the option for Color/Intensity select Manual ->Set -> None.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

You need to select the paper ICC profile where it says Printer Profile:

Screenshot 2022-08-31 231621.jpg

Click the dropdown and select the profile for Canon Photo Paper Plus SemiGloss.

Also, where it has the option for Color/Intensity select Manual ->Set -> None.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

John,

Thank you for the quick and effective response.  The Purple is now Blue (a little darker blue than on the screen, but I can work with that now).  In your response about color/intensity, it took another step to get to that setting.  That is, Color/Intensity, Manual, Set, Matching, None (for others that need this advice).  Again,  Thank you for the help you provide the community.  I have seen many other posts that you have answered and know that you are dedicated to helping us users learn to use these incredible printers to their full capability.

JohnnyO

Glad you resolved the issue.

From what I have read blue is one of the harder colors for printers to print.

Download and print this test image:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!ApNpngg2Z6dbhIYEVaNQBuYp2nUaWg?e=B77xeQ

Open the image in your photo app and print it. Don't make any adjustments regardless of how it might look on the display.

You can compare the print to your display and determine what adjustments might be needed.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

xJohnnyO23x
Apprentice

Thank you for the additional advice.  Most of my prints are landscapes with blue sky.  This printer under the old firmware and driver has given great results with my original settings, so I know the printer is quite capable of great blue sky rendering.  It's probably going to take a bit to get the new firmware and driver to work as well for me, but at least I was able to clean up the white line issue, which was horrible.

Have a great Labor Day Weekend!

JohnnyO

Announcements