cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No USB or Ethernet Connection on MacBook Pro and PIXMA PRO-100

sendderek
Apprentice

On a MacBook Pro 16" (2019), OSX Mojave,  and MacBook 13" OSX Catalina, I'm unable to get any signs of life from a new-to-me Canon PIXMA PRO-100 via USB connection or Ethernet on either computers.  I've installed the latest drivers for CUPS (Ver.16.50.0.0), restarted both the computer and printer, and cannot get anything to happen.  I mean, literally nothing.  The system report doesn't recognize the existence of a new device or anything. 

I purchased this printer from an online classified ad.  The previous owner said it was lightly used and then put away in storage.  I do not know how long ago, but let's say a few years.

My first step was to update the firmware, but since I cannot get it connected to USB, I'm not sure what to do.

Also!  I'm testing with a known good ethernet cable and switch.  The switch will light up with activity with a known good device.  With the Pro 100, it's not lighting up at all.  Just a big paper weight at this point.

How do ya'll feel about this hard reset:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQqMJxYRT3s

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

sendderek
Apprentice

Do not underestimate Canon tech support!  😁

We determined that the USB circuit is damaged.  Since the USB circuit is separate from the Ethernet, we were able to get the printer to connect via Ethernet.  The trick was to disable Wi-Fi and enable Ethernet.

Press and hold resume/cancel button for 11 flashes.  This will enable Ethernet and disable Wi-Fi.

I'm not going to be able to update the firmware, but the tech said that v2.001 is good enough and it will print on any OS without issue.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

sendderek
Apprentice

Do not underestimate Canon tech support!  😁

We determined that the USB circuit is damaged.  Since the USB circuit is separate from the Ethernet, we were able to get the printer to connect via Ethernet.  The trick was to disable Wi-Fi and enable Ethernet.

Press and hold resume/cancel button for 11 flashes.  This will enable Ethernet and disable Wi-Fi.

I'm not going to be able to update the firmware, but the tech said that v2.001 is good enough and it will print on any OS without issue.

Announcements