cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I cleaned the print head and ink absorber and now I can't print at all

StacyJax
Apprentice

I have a Canon Pro9000. For a long time I have been able to print but it was always a bit light. The print test would be split in two for each color, darker on the top than the bottom. Then I couldn't print because I was receiving a message about my ink absorber pad being full. I removed and carefully cleaned the print head and ink absorber with water, hoping this would solve both problems.

Now I get what you see here. I've done the nozzle cleaning twice, along with a couple deep cleanings. The test pattern never changes from this.

Also, I should add that I have been using recycled toners for quite a while now. I suspect they might be a problem for my printer, both with printing light and now printing nothing at all. Or, maybe I need to replace the print head. I'm looking for guidance on what to do next before I spend money needlessly. Thanks.test pattern.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

I'm sorry you are in this dilemma.  Neither of the items you "cleaned" are considered serviceable by the end user.  The ink absorber once full typically shuts printing down until the service counter is reset.  The tool to do this is also not provided by Canon to the general public, but almost anything can be found on the internet.  Not sure when you got your 9000. but its been around for quite a while.  Its going on 14 or 15 years now.  I would not be surprised if it's printhead had decided to give up.  3rd party inks are likely fine, but Canon ink will in the majority of cases always work better and provide consistent results.  I wouldn't spend any $$$ on this printer.  Its not classic, but I guess somewhat vintage.  If you've owned it for 10 yrs or more...  you have received your money's worth from it.  I know the 9000 and MKII are highly prized amongst long time owners.  I just can't recommend (with a good conscience) that you pour more $$$ into something and end up disappointed.  New printheads are costly.  If you buy one and it doesn't work out, that would be a real bummer, as that money could have been put towards a newer device.  Tough decision.  Good luck.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

I'm sorry you are in this dilemma.  Neither of the items you "cleaned" are considered serviceable by the end user.  The ink absorber once full typically shuts printing down until the service counter is reset.  The tool to do this is also not provided by Canon to the general public, but almost anything can be found on the internet.  Not sure when you got your 9000. but its been around for quite a while.  Its going on 14 or 15 years now.  I would not be surprised if it's printhead had decided to give up.  3rd party inks are likely fine, but Canon ink will in the majority of cases always work better and provide consistent results.  I wouldn't spend any $$$ on this printer.  Its not classic, but I guess somewhat vintage.  If you've owned it for 10 yrs or more...  you have received your money's worth from it.  I know the 9000 and MKII are highly prized amongst long time owners.  I just can't recommend (with a good conscience) that you pour more $$$ into something and end up disappointed.  New printheads are costly.  If you buy one and it doesn't work out, that would be a real bummer, as that money could have been put towards a newer device.  Tough decision.  Good luck.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

StacyJax
Apprentice

This helps, thanks. I'm going to look into a new printer.

Switz7
Apprentice

StacyJax - since you have experience with a problem I am having, can you answer a question about the Pro9000?

Is the ink absorber a completely separate unit from the print head? I want to swap out the ink absorber but I'm not clear

as to how to get to it. Thanks for any help, I know this is old news!!!

Yes, there is a long, thin sponge-y thing below. You can see it when you remove the print head unit. The sponge fits along the length, maybe about 10" long. Be gentle with it, it's kind of flimsy and has little holes in it where it fits into the printer.

Thanks - going to give it a shot! I know people say "old printer" - give it up. I loved this tho and

it never failed me until after I printed a large document of black & white lists. Must have clogged

the thing. Gonna give this a try!

Announcements