cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon imagePROGRAF 1000 not working since iMac update to Ventura

geofinjapan
Apprentice

I have been printing to the Pro 1000 from an iMac using Lightroom for a while now without incident, but once I updated to the Ventura OS, I can no longer make color prints. I normally use the Canon Print Studio Pro plugin software, but now as soon as I hit print, I get a message saying: "An error occurred while printing.
Memory may be insufficient for printing." For some reason, I can still print in black and white. I tried using Lightroom's Print module, but the colors are too vibrant, so I suspect the color profile is being added twice. But, every time I try to open Page Setup, LR crashes, so in effect, I can't make color prints. I wish Canon would update their Print Studio Pro plugin to work with Ventura, but until they do, I wonder if there is a work around? This is very frustrating.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Welcome.

1. there is a bug related to PSP in Ventura. 2. You don't need PSP to print from Lr to the Pro-1000. I ran tests a number years ago and found no difference when printing via PSP or Lightroom and Photoshop directly. Haven’t used PSP other than to evaluate problems to help folks here. Perhaps Professional Print & Layout will work.

I had the same crashing when opening Page Setup with my Pro-100.

I resolved it by 1. remove the printer in Printers & Scanners, 2. Use Adobe Creative Cloud app to uninstall LrC, 3. Restart computer. 4. Redownload and install the Canon printer driver. 5. Re-add the printer, being sure to add the IJ Series version and not the AirPrint version. 6. Re-install LrC.

Took two cycles of those steps, but issue resolved.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Welcome.

1. there is a bug related to PSP in Ventura. 2. You don't need PSP to print from Lr to the Pro-1000. I ran tests a number years ago and found no difference when printing via PSP or Lightroom and Photoshop directly. Haven’t used PSP other than to evaluate problems to help folks here. Perhaps Professional Print & Layout will work.

I had the same crashing when opening Page Setup with my Pro-100.

I resolved it by 1. remove the printer in Printers & Scanners, 2. Use Adobe Creative Cloud app to uninstall LrC, 3. Restart computer. 4. Redownload and install the Canon printer driver. 5. Re-add the printer, being sure to add the IJ Series version and not the AirPrint version. 6. Re-install LrC.

Took two cycles of those steps, but issue resolved.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Thank you for the information! I will look into the Professional Print & Layout and if that doesn't work, I will uninstall the printer and Creative Cloud and then reinstall, as you recommend. Just one question, when you say you don't need PSP to print, I believe you, but I did notice a difference when I tried it, compared to when I used PSP. The images printed from LR's print module were definitely overly saturated when I looked at them side by side with the same images from PSP. So, obviously I was making some mistake with the settings.

Anyway, I appreciate your time. Uninstalling and reinstalling is a hassle (will I lose the paper profiles I downloaded from Hahnemuehle and Canson?) but knowing that the problem is due to a bug, it sounds like I have no choice. Thanks again.

If PSP/LP&L are producing good images while Lr isn’t it does mean you have som Lr settings incorrect. That is a benefit of PSP; it sets all the correct “switches”.

Uninstalling the printer driver won’t delete any third party profiles. The Pro-1000 does use settings files that I am not familiar with; I don’t know if they are affected by a delete.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Hi John,

Just wanted to add an adendum. I downloaded Professional Print & Layout and tried it and it worked. It's similar enough to PSP that I could use it immediately, and it didn't have whatever bug is hanging up PSP. It printed immediately and the colors were right. And, it knew the folder with my paper profiles, so it looks like I'm all set. Thanks for the recommendation!

Announcements