cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

imageRUNNER 5075 Change Output Method and Mailbox# programmatically (without GUI)?

prodigy_
Apprentice

We have several iR5075s and about 300 workplaces. For security reasons we only allow "Store" output method. So every user has access to some printers and for every printer they need to reconfigure printing preferences.

For convenience we'd like to do the following automatically (via Group Policy or scripts):

1) Change "Output Method" to "Store".

2) Set the correct mailbox number.

The problem is that the related settings seem to be stored in registry as a binary blob (HKCU\Printers\Connections\<printer name>\DevMode). I've been searching for a while but I couldn't find anything that would explain what's what in that blob.

Any clues?

Or maybe there's another way?

P.S. I'm familiar with scripting, regular expressions, etc. Acquiring the necessary parameters (such as mailbox#) is not a problem at all. I only need to know where and what I should change (in registry or elsewhere).

[Edit] Update: Actually it seems the settings are stored in HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Print\Providers\Client Side Rendering Print Provider\<user sid>\Printers\Connections\,,<server name>,<printer name>\RemotePrinterCache. It's also a binary blob though.

Eventually I'll reverse engineer it enough for my goals. I just don't understand why it must be so complicated...

5 REPLIES 5

umy-techsupport
Apprentice

Were you able to discover a method to this? We are trying to migrate print servers and this aspect of the task is looking like a huge challenge...

Sort of. Here's the script I wrote eventually: http://pastebin.com/LSYSx8Q5

Code needs some cleanup and is tailored to our needs but maybe you'll find useful pieces.

prodigy_ is there any chance you still have and could post the script that you used?

https://mega.co.nz/#!5QQWmaTI!cryW-pykueRNffdDYnj1OpxiHgG0mcAqLOh4Gmt2PJk

But I'm not sure how useful you'll find it. I wrote it as a temporary solution (we're now migrating to UniFlow) and it's anything but universal. At best, I guess, you'll be able to salvage some of my code while writing your own.

trustee
Apprentice

Hi,

I am reading your post and We are interesting to enable "store" ouput method as the only possible method, for security reasons.

If someone would be so kind as to tell me how to achieve this I would be very grateful.

We have looked at the driver configuration possibilities on the print server but we do not see how to eliminate the rest of the output methods

Announcements