cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

imagePROGRAF PRO-2100 ICC profile for Canon Fine Art Rough

drgball
Contributor

Anybody have an idea of where I can get the ICC profile for Canon Fine Art Rough? It is not in the list of papers on my Prograf 2100. The latest version of the Professional Print and Layout manual actually lists that paper and indicates that there is an ICC profile but it is not on the printer or in the ColorSync directory of my Mac. I have used the config tool and internet search but have yet to find it. If you know of a work around using another profile that would be helpful also.

6 REPLIES 6

JoshSnider86
Contributor

I was under the impression that ICC profiles would be generally irrelevant considering the 12-color system that can print RGB and CMYK at the same time. The auto color adjust (must be a white sheet of paper, not anything cream tinted) does wonders. I've never had to use an outside spectrometer. We run three of these machines, printing hundreds of art prints a day. Format or profile of the file has made no difference in the finished product that's we've noticed. I'd love to know for sure though too!

Josh,

Since most of the paper manufacturers do supply ICC profiles for their papers and specifically for a printer type, I have to believe that there is some value in the use of the ICC.  Although I am not doing commercial level printing and just for my own pleasure of producing fine art prints, the use of the ICC profile with my editing software (Capture One in my case) allows me to see a very close, if not exact, match to the printer output. My process uses C1 for editing and exporting a full TIFF file for printing.  The TIFF file is accessed via Canon PPL software where I specify the paper and the ICC profile so that I can judge the way the print will look through soft proofing. Since the monitor and the printer are calibrated, the end result is usually spot on from the printer. When I see the test print I can make whatever slight adjustment I want before the final print. With some papers such as Canon Pro Luster or Canson Platine, the image on the screen during editing (via the ICC profile) is exactly what my 2100 printer will produce.  With the matte papers and B/W it is a bit more tricky to see the final output but the ICC profile in PPL comes pretty close.  

I assume that the ICC for Fine Art Texture is what Canon intended in the ICC since they don't actually sell a paper with that label. However, when I see the PPL manual specifically state "Fine Art Rough" as an ICC profile it makes me wonder why I can't find that profile anywhere, specifically amongst all of the profiles loaded to the 2100.

It might be a nit, but it's worth asking the question.

George

That makes a lot of sense. Canon does make a fine art matte. I used it for a while but it was out of stock amist covid and we switched to a more textured watercolor like paper.

1.JPG

[Commercial link removed per forum guidelines and replaced with screenshot to facilitate discussion.]

josh,  I like the Fine Art Bright White and have found that the ICC for Fine Art Heavy translates very well from my monitor to the paper.  I've been doing a lot of research and work the past week on the printer and the PPL interface.  I've discovered that using that Fine Art heavy ICC on the printer but editing the image in Capture One using the Pro Luster ICC provides a fantastic fine art print.   

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Maybe try the Printer forum at DP Review.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thanks John.  I've searched every forum and discussion I could find.  See my reply to Josh above.  I haven't tried the same set up with the Fine Art Rough yet but expect it to work without a problem.  Too bad that the FA Rough only comes in sheets.  However the Bright White is a fantastic paper and reproduces the images exceptionally well.

Announcements