cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Pro-4100 -- Prints are Grainy/Noisy

ams1unm
Apprentice

Hi - I'm running into an issue I am unable to solve with grainy/noisy prints off of a relatively new Canon Pro-4100. The printer is approximately 6 months old and in good health. Prints are made on Moab Juniper Baryta Rag 305gsm paper and using a variety of ICC profiles.

The grain shows up primarily in mid-tones/neutrals. This grain was not noticeable when printing the same photo on an Epson printer. Images are coming from RAW files captured by a Fuji digital medium format camera, so the grain is not part of the original file.

The following have been tried:

1. Head cleaning (all ink channels are clear)
  2. Head alignment (print head is aligned properly)
  3. Changing paper thickness (from auto to thickest)
  4. Changing vacuum/suction
  5. Printing with different ICC profiles

Here are two examples of the grain:

From a 10x15" printFrom a 10x15" printFrom a 10x15" printFrom a 10x15" print

I know there are other posts about this problem and I'm eager to find any solutions to share with the community.

Thank you!

3 REPLIES 3

christophhering
Apprentice

Same for me.

ams1unm
Apprentice

Just wrapping up this thread. Unfortunately, this issue has not been resolved officially. We're still getting grainy prints, etc. I worked through all the support steps with Canon USA support and they determined there was no issue because of the "three foot rule". If the issue cannot be seen at 3 feet from the print, it doesn't exist. Yippee. I also brought out a third party tech and they were unable to resolve the problem... In the end, I am purchasing an Epson P9000 to replace this Canon Pro-4100.

John_D
Apprentice

I had a similar problem with my 4100. Switching to unidirectional printing resolved the issue for me.

Best of luck,
John

Announcements