cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

imageCLASS MF751Cdw How to Upload Wildcard TLS Certificate in Remote UI?

Zosh
Apprentice

Hello,

I recently purchased and setup an imageCLASS MF751Cdw. I'm pretty happy with the purchase, and I've already glazed over all the settings and made them my own. There is however 1 thing that is aggravatingly asinine and totally ridiculous and that is the Key and Certificate Settings section... Throughout my career I've dealt alot with using SSL/TLS certificates and using them to secure web applications and client-server connections. It's pretty straightforward once you've done it enough. But whoever built the certificate functionality in the Remote UI wins the award for all-time worst certificate functionality my colleagues and I have ever seen.

I have a wildcard SSL/TLS certificate. It works seamless on many other systems I've deployed it with. It meets all of Canon's requirements, except that it's a .crt file. Ok, not a big deal, I'll just convert it right? I convert it to a .cer and when you upload it, it takes you to this ridiculous screen asking for a key name and password? What in the world is anyone supposed to do with this?
Canon Certificate Issue.png

Why can't I just upload my certificate's private key just like every other practical web server out there? There is literally no option that I can see or figure out which allows me to just upload my key for my certificate. I'd like to start using some of the features which require TLS connectivity.

Is anyone aware of a workaround to just force the certificate in? Is there a command-line shell to access for this printer's web server? How can I just upload my certificate since Canon's absolutely insane certificate implementation doesn't even work in any practical way?

Thanks and let me know!

2 REPLIES 2

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings ,

I ran into something similar to this while configuring Netsuite - sFTP for ACH transactions at one of my clients.  It was a little different as I used PuTTy to generate the key pair.  I later switched to a command line and generated my key pair that way.  I have not reviewed Canon's requirements for certificates.  Let me grab a cup of coffee and I'll take a look.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

It looks like you have to generate the certificate (.CSR) from the machine in order to request the .cer.

I don't think it will take a converted .crt to .cer.  I don't know this for sure as I've never tried.

See reference:

Generating a Key and Certificate - Canon - imageCLASS MF753Cdw / MF751Cdw - User's Guide (Product Ma...

I would reach out to support and ask them. 

Start by registering in the MyCanon Portal.

MyCanon

Open a case.  You will then be able to email or speak with a tech.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements