cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

imageCLASS MF656Cdw How to scan multiple pages via MF Scan Utility

sonnydola1
Apprentice

The built in MF Scan Utility does not allow me to scan multiple pages and continue adding additional pages when I scan.
I dont see any configuration options to do this.

7 REPLIES 7

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Can you help by answering the following.

Are you scanning from the printers ADF or platen?  Are you using the printers control panel, or the MF Scan Utility on your Windows or Mac computer?  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Hi,

Thanks for responding to my request.

I tried the option of starting the scan from my Windows 10 desktop using the MF Utility as well as directly from the machine.  I used the ADF primarily when scanning.

I have the same problem, or rather, the MF Scan Utility is virtually USELESS.

Latest Mac OS Sonoma.

Load a document on the ADF, and click any option and the results are the same — clearly - say a seven page document — the pages are all run through on the machine.

On the desktop, there is an error for every page, and then an error at the end.  The utility creates the folder, and the folder is blank.  Option ‘Document’, ‘Scan Gear’, ‘email’ — none of them work.

Really frustrating.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Thanks for the reply.   I looked into this the other evening.  I tested the MF Scan Utility, ScanGear and the printers Control Panel.  I used the ADF and Platen.

Findings:

I did not find a way to continue adding pages to a scan.  This makes sense for the following reasons.

Scanning multiple pages from the platen is downright painful. 

The machine has an ADF which accepts 50 pages at a time and will also do single pass duplex scanning. This creates a single 50 or 100 page (if duplex) file.

Options and recommendations. 

If you need to scan more than 50 pages at a time and have a single file, you could use adobe acrobat professional and combine multiple 50 page, or individual files into a single file.

Preferred:

Buy a document scanner which is better suited and designed specifically for creating multipage single file documents, including being able to add 1 or multiple pages after the ADF is emptied.  This eliminates the Adobe software step.

Hope this answers your question.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Its not that often that I scan more pages that can fit in the ADF so its not a huge deal.  Occasionally I will need to scan from the ADF and the Platen when I am scanning things like receipts with my documents.
I bought this scanner a few months ago and its unfortunate that a scanner at this price point doesnt include that feature similar to other HP scanners that cost less.

Canon made a IJ Scan Utility for other models that have this option but the driver doesnt seem to load or work with my model.

The other issue I found with the MF Scan Utility is that it doesnt support mult-page TIF file when it scans.

When I need to scan multi-page TIF I start the scans from my desktop using my Sharpdesk Imaging app which also allows me to append additional pages to the scan.

If there is an area where I notify Canon about these issues please let me know.

Thanks for help.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

The MF Utility and ScanGear support this 

shadowsports_0-1711823405191.png

For product feedback or suggestions

Canon USA Website

Canon Homepage | Canon U.S.A., Inc.

Select [+]Feedback then product in the top right corner.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

Yes, it supports multi-page PDFs just not multi-page TIFs which i need to do sometimes. I can only create multi-page TIFs if I start it from my Sharpdesk app.

I will try posting a feedback at the suggested area.

Announcements