cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 10 install - how to get Canon folders into user Start menu?

BruceBon
Contributor

I have a Canon Maxify MB2120 all-in-one, running with Windows 10.  Bought it 2 years ago and used for a short while, but it has mostly been in the box until yesterday.  I downloaded the "MB2100 series Full Driver & Software Package" from the Canon support website and installed.  It required installation as Admin, so I logged onto my Admin account and installed it uneventfully.  BUT the folders which get installed into the Start Menu of Windows only show up in the Admin account, not in my user account.

I may be able to overcome this by running the install as Admin from my user account, but there ought to be an easier way.  Any suggestions?

Thanks.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

@BruceBon,

Correct, there are a couple of things you can try.

A) Right-Click and running the installer with administrator privileges

B) Grant the user account you are installing under temporary admin privileges, then remove

C) Add the program icons manually.  This is a hidden folder, but you can navigate to it using Windows Explorer or the run command

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

Yes, you can just copy the Start Menu items from the Admin user account to your user account.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

@BruceBon,

Correct, there are a couple of things you can try.

A) Right-Click and running the installer with administrator privileges

B) Grant the user account you are installing under temporary admin privileges, then remove

C) Add the program icons manually.  This is a hidden folder, but you can navigate to it using Windows Explorer or the run command

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I believe that (A) works, and, in fact, I am using that for the initial install on other computers of mine.  But I worry that there may be undesirable side effects of simply installing twice, once under Admin and once under a user account.

I prefer (C) for my original install, if I can work out the details, but I confess to not understanding how Windows handles these things.  Most program folders (e.g. "Canon Utilities") are present in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs, including all of the ones installed with the Canon software install, but the Canon folders do not show up in my Start Menu.  There are a few folders that are not in the main menu location, but show up in C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs.  The actual Start Menu seems to be a merging of information from these two folders, but excluding the Canon entries (and maybe some others).  Is it, perhaps, a  matter of access privilege?  If not, then what is the criteria by which programs are excluded from the user Start Menu?  Can I just copy the appropriate  folders from the system start menu folder to the user start menu folder?

Yes, you can just copy the Start Menu items from the Admin user account to your user account.

Thank you!!  That worked.

Announcements