cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virus Warning When Downloading TS202 User Manual

KiraCollins
Apprentice

Why do I get a "Thread Detected: HEUR/APC.YAV " warning when downloading the manual from the Canon website?

Thanks in advance,

Kira

7 REPLIES 7

Kristoff
Rising Star

Thanks for joining the conversation, KiraCollins!

So that the Community can help you better, we need to know exactly which operating system is running on your computer (i.e. Windows or macOS, and which version thereof). That, and any other details you'd like to give will help the Community better understand your issue!

If this is a time-sensitive matter, click HERE search our knowledge base or find additional support options HERE.

Thanks and have a great day!

normadel
Authority
Authority

What Canon website? Are you sure you're not downloading from one of the many non-Canon sites that have free downloads? There are trustworthy ones and non-trustworthy ones. Bad guys who want to plant viruses etc. on your computer.

This is the canon USA site you should be going to: https://www.usa.canon.com/support/p/pixma-ts202

Landed on this one: https://www.usa.canon.com/support/p/pixma-ts202#idReference%3Dmanuals which takes me to this one: https://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/5/0300029295/01/TS200ser_OnlineManual_Win_EN_V01.pdf

It looks like is exactly the same as the link you sent.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

What likely happened:

This is what's called a false positive.  It is the result of the current virus definitions being used in your AV client.  Virus definitions are updated on a regular basis, they use something called heuristics.  They use a list of know virus signatures as well as algorithms that look for and identify files or processes that exhibit virus like activity.     Occasionally, these definitions can incorrectly identify a harmless file or process incorrectly.  They aren't perfect and typically err on the side of caution.  "Looks like a virus, acts like a virus, so might be a virus or malware".     I better alert.    

If you are visiting Canon USA, the chance of a hosted file being infected is extremely low.  Low as in zero probability.  Once you receive new virus definitions, its likely the same file will not be incorrectly flagged as potentially harmful.

Worth noting, if you are using Avira, they are one of the worst free AV solutions available and are known for false positive detections, privacy concerns and causing compatibility issues with your system.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

"If you are visiting Canon USA, the chance of a hosted file being infected is extremely low.  Low as in zero probability."

I want to the site and clicked on the download for the manual. There is no virus. 

KiraCollins: If you  are running Windows 11 or 10, their built-in antivirus/antimalware apps are VERY good. You don't even need another AV program!

KiraCollins
Apprentice

Thanks everyone for your advice. I have NordVPN and it comes virus protection. I turned it off to download the manual, but it deletes the file as soon as I turn it on again. I´ll do a little research with NordVPN to figure it out. Thanks again!

Announcements