cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use both Wi-Fi and wired LAN on Pixma TR8520?

NEatonJr
Apprentice

I have my printer configured for wifi access right now but I also need to send prints to it (and, ideally, scan documents) via a wired LAN connection. If I start to set up a wired LAN connection, there is a warning about existing network connections being affected. I really don't want to go to the trouble of setting up a wired connection only to find that once I have, the wifi connection no longer works. 

Nothing I see in the manuals, FAQ, etc., answers this question. Anyone out there know whether it will work? I have other devices in the house configured for access through both wifi and wired LAN addresses. 

Thanks,
Nate

5 REPLIES 5

Mike

Hi MEatonJr!

To have a better understanding of your issue, please let everyone know the operating system on your computer. Any other details you'd like to give will only help the Community better understand your issue.

If this is a time-sensitive matter, please check out your other support options here: https://canon.us/MyCanonAccount

Thanks!

Thanks, Mike.

We access that printer from multiple devices, OS including a MacBook Pro running Sierra Mac OS, a Chromebook tablet (Pixel Slate), Android phone, iPhone and iPad.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

My advice.  Pick one (interface) connection type and use that.  Assign the printer a static IP on your network.  Its easiest to do this on your router.  Do it once and youre done.  Now all devices in your home, including vistors will be able to find and print to the printer regardless of how they connect.  Either by plugging into your LAN or connecting to your Wi-Fi.  Once this is performed, there is nothing to manage.  The printer's IP will not change.  It becomes a (static) destination.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thanks, Rick. I already have static addresses for all devices. As for just going with one interface, I would actually prefer a wired connection (which I use for pretty much any device with an Ethernet port) but my wife uses iOS devices almost exclusively and all I was ever able to get working for her is Airplay, hence initially setting things up over WiFi. 

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Wired is fine.  The printer will not care how it connects to your LAN.  If done correctly, its 100% reliable and there is no ongoing management on your part.  You already understand the benefit of address reservation.

If you/your wife is having issues with iOS devices, have her download and use the Canon Print App on the devices she prints from frequently.

Canon PRINT Inkjet/SELPHY on the App Store (apple.com)

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements