cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixma TS8150 Slow Printing - 17% signal Strength

skinnybloke
Apprentice

Hi - I have a Pixma TS8150 which was working perfectly till a few days ago.

It is now printing extremely slowly.

On checking my WLAN setting list it is showing a signal strength of 17% which is probably the reason. I do not know what this setting was previously.

The printer is right next to the router.

The only thing that has changed on my network recently is the addition of a Ring Pro Doorbell and Chime - could this be causing interference?

Any ideas on what steps I can take to try to rectify this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi - thanks for the reply.

I am now working again with a signal strength of 99%

I have an access point on a different floor of my house which I switched off. I then did a manual connect via the wireless LAN setup menu on the printer and all is fine.

Could the printer have connected to the access point on the upper floor?

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Whiile signal strength can cause some delay if you were printing large files, a print job will normally start printing within 3-5 decs after printing is initated.  Spooling is the process of the print job being sent from the compouter to the printer.  It is possible for the printer to begin printing before the job is completely spooled.  If the sized of the job exceeds the printers buffer, then a small (pause) or delay might occur until the rest of the file or job is received, however, this does not affect the speed at which a job prints.  Settings in the printer driver (paper type, print quality) etc, are normally what effects the speed at which a job will print. 

17% signal seems low if the printer is in close proximity to the router. Maybe there is something in your environment.  A neighbors network broadcast is a common cause of interfearence or congestion.  Depends on proximity usually.    

The Ring Pro and Elite models both support 2.4 and 5G network broadcasts.  Your printer only supports 2.4Ghz. 

What is the brand / model of your modem / router?  Is it dual band?  I doubt your ring central doorbell is causing any issues, but you can easily check the network to see what you have connected and how its performing.

Things to look at;

If the router is dual band, are you using separate SSIDs for the two broadcasts

Try changing the broadcast channel the 2.4 Ghz network is using

Some wireless telephones broadcast on 2.4ghz

Wall obstructions such as stone, brick, glass or plumbling can impede wireless performance

Some appliances too  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Hi - thanks for the reply.

I am now working again with a signal strength of 99%

I have an access point on a different floor of my house which I switched off. I then did a manual connect via the wireless LAN setup menu on the printer and all is fine.

Could the printer have connected to the access point on the upper floor?

having a similar problem with the Pixma ip8720.  

All of a sudden it started printing IMPOSSIBLY SLOW. 1.5 hours for 15 pages. Tech support is closed til Monday and I need to get this job done. I tried downloading updated drivers to no avail. It's the same distance from the router it's always been and this problem just stated by itself with no changes to the network. It even will spit out an unfinished print job in the middle of it giving me a half printed piece of paper. I"m going literally insane trying to figure this out.

please help 😞 😞 😞

I have 4 access points in my house, one less than 6ft from the TS8050 printer with zero objects obstructing the signal between them. When I start the printer it will consistently and very easily replicated ALWAYS connect to the AP with the poorest signal and ignore the one right next to the printer. Restart it 10 times, it will do this 10 times.

Eventually I created a separate SSID "Canon-Printers" which exists only on the AP next to the printer and only on the 2.4Ghz frequency. The printer's configuration is now for this new SSID and since then everything always works perfect.  So my suggestion is to create a similar setup for fast & reliable printing.

If that is not possible & you need something printed urgently then I suggest you unplug any other AP's in the house, start the printer, wait until the printer shows it is connected to the Wifi network and then power up your other AP's again. This also ensures that the printer is connected to the router and not your secondary AP (until the next time it is restarted) and then it will print just fine.

Announcements