cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PIXMA G7020 Cannot Scan to Computer

slovey
Apprentice

I am trying to scan from my printer to my computer both are on the same network.  I can see them both in my router gateway.  Previously this worked but now it doesn't.  Only change is I updated PC from win10 to win11.  

Printer model Pixma G-7020

Printer error message says "Cowboy not connected:  Cowboy is the name of my computer.

I am not sure what to do.  Only other option is to scan to a usb drive but printer has no usb port that I can find.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi,

If you have not done so, remove and reinstall the printer driver from the Canon website. Once it reinstalled, go to the Canon Utilities folder and open IJ Scan Utility. 

When IJ Scan Utility is open, make sure the printer is listed as G7000 series Network and then try to scan. If network is not attached, click the printer model in IJ Scan Utility and in the drop down, select the one with network. Once this is done, try to scan with IJ Scan Utility. 

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

SamanthaW

Hi!

To have a better understanding of your issue, please let everyone know the operating system on your computer.

If this is a time-sensitive matter, please check out your other support options here.

Thanks! 

As I stated in first paragraph, it is Windows 11 - current version

also note air print works fine and so does all printing from pc to printer.  Problem is only in the scanner.  This error message occasionally popped up when pc was Windows10 but I would stop and restart printer and all would be fine.  BUT NOT NOW

Hi,

If you have not done so, remove and reinstall the printer driver from the Canon website. Once it reinstalled, go to the Canon Utilities folder and open IJ Scan Utility. 

When IJ Scan Utility is open, make sure the printer is listed as G7000 series Network and then try to scan. If network is not attached, click the printer model in IJ Scan Utility and in the drop down, select the one with network. Once this is done, try to scan with IJ Scan Utility. 

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

rbwilliams76
Apprentice

I am running Windows 11. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers for printing and scanning.  The IJ Scan Utility shows that the printer is listed as "G7000 series Network." The printer and my computer are on the same network. I am running "Bitdefender" antivirus software and it is set to allow the printer/scanner to communicate with the computer.

When I click on the "auto" scan button in the IJ Scan Utility the printer scanner begins to scan the document. After the document is scanned, I receive a "ScanGear" error message that states "cannot communicate with scanner." The codes that are set as "2, 157, 50." The document was scanning so clearly the computer and scanner were communicating but then it throws the error.

rhhollin
Apprentice

I have the same issue. Scanning from the computer using either the IJScan Utility or Vuescan has worked fine since I purchased the Pixma G7020 months ago. After the most recent Feb 2024 Windows 11 update, it has stopped working on both programs. On Vuescan, after the document is scanned, the printer displays an "unexpecter error, unable to save" message. With the IJScan Utility, I see the same symptoms described by rbwillams76 and slovey above. I tried re-installing the G7000 series driver, but it had no effect.

Further, I am unable to scan to the computer via the printer control panel, it immediately defaults to a USB connection mode.

Has anyone found a solution to this? 

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements