cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Computer - Having issues installing drives for my Pixma MX490

Sheilajeanne
Contributor

I recently bought a new Lenova computer, and can't find the original discs for my Pixma 490 printer. Is it still possible to install it, and if so, how do I go about it?

I've copied the software and the file that I think contains my drivers over to the new computer, but so far haven't had any luck in getting it to work.

4 REPLIES 4

Danny

Thanks for joining the conversation, Sheilajeanne!

So that the Community can help you better, we need to know exactly which operating system is running on your computer.  If you're using a Lenovo computer, it's probably running Windows, so please let us know which version of Windows that is or if you're using a different operating system. That, and any other details you'd like to give will help the Community better understand your issue!

If this is a time-sensitive matter, click HERE search our knowledge base or find additional support options HERE.

Thanks and have a great day!

Sheilajeanne
Contributor

Danny, it's Window 11. If there are different editions of Win11, this is likely the 'home edition' as I'm not on a network and just use the computer for personal use.

Sheilajeanne
Contributor

Since my initial post, I've done the following.

I erased all previous Canon files from my computer, including the drivers, and re-installed everything from the website. However, I hit my first problem with the first download - the drivers. When I attempt to install them, the app can't find my printer. I made sure I followed the protocol of starting with the printer unplugged, then connecting it when prompted. Still, not working. 😞  I am connecting to the computer with a USB cable, not a LAN.

Help, anyone? I'm getting really frustrated! When I check my list of programs, everything is there, including the drivers, scanner, colour printer, etc. 

Sheilajeanne
Contributor

Oookay...when the instructions for installing print drivers say CLOSE ALL PROGRAMS, they REALLY mean it! I was leaving the Canon page open, so I could more easily download the remaining apps for the printer! 

Once I closed everything down, the installation went off without a hitch. 

Make SURE you read the instructions...ALL the instructions!! 🙄 DUH!

Printer is now installed, I've done my first scan of a photo, and am fine-tuning it to work the way I prefer.

Happy day!!

Announcements