cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maxify GX4020 Doesn't Stay Connected to wifi

Len2
Apprentice

My Canon Maxify GX4020 consistently goes to sleep and forgets the wifi network. Each time anyone on the network wants to print, they have to literally go to the printer and have it re-establish the wifi connection - AND - it doesn't get fixed the same way everytime. My former PXMIA MX860 I had for 15 years and it worked exceptionally well and never lost connection - I just got rid of it because the ink was so expensive.

7 REPLIES 7

Stephen

Hey there!
So the community can better assist, we need to know if you're using macOS or Windows? 

Windows 11

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Hi Len2,

There are 2 common causes why a printer loses connection to its wireless broadcast or AP.  One occurs if the printer is located too far away from the broadcast.  Or if there are significant obstructions between the 2 devices.  Stone walls, pipes, ducting, plumbing or glass, etc.

Youve indicated the connection fails because the printer is going into a low power state.  Here is what I suspect maybe the problem.

You are using DHCP on your wireless network, your router assigns IP addresses to devices when they request a connection.  These IP's are "leased' to a connecting device.  If the router does not "hear" back from a connected device for an extended period of time, (inactivity) it will reclaim the IP it assigned and return it to the pool of addresses it has for devices requesting a connection.

Since your printer is persistent, doesn't visit (come and go) from your network, assigning it with a static IP is a good way to ensure it always gets the same IP address.  This in turn will allow your computer to find it at its reserved IP address consistently.  

You perform this task on the router and it only needs to be done once.  Moving forward, when the printer wakes to print, the router will recognize it and assign the IP you have reserved.  The feature is called address reservation, Static or Reserved IP.

See my example below.  I have reserved the IP 192.168.1.99 for my printer:

shadowsports_0-1710859716535.png

My printer goes into a low power state within minutes of being used.  When I send a print job, it wakes up and the router knows to assign the address I have specified / reserved for it.  192.168.1.99.  I suspect your IP is changing each time you are trying to use the printer, and thus, your computer is not able to "find" it when you print.  This should resolve the problem for you.  Note, you'll need to remove the printer and re-add it to your computer as an IP printer.  You can do this in windows or MAC, and it only needs to be done once.  Let us know if you have questions.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thanks so much for your prompt response! Your recommendations were things that I had thought of, so I went back to check signal strength which was at 76%. With that said, the access either comes from a Goggle wifi mesh router that sits right next to the printer, or to my AT&T router, which is directly below, downstairs, from my printer. For the Google wifi router, I checked the connected devices and didn't see the printer, so that probably means it's getting it's signal from the AT&T router in the closet downstairs. Checking the AT&T router, I found an Unnamed device that held the same IPv4 address that the Canon printer showed, so guess that's it. I see that it has its address assigned via DHCP, but I don't have the ability (at least can't figure it out) to change to a static IP. I'm going to attempt to go thru the AT&T tech - again - and hope that helps.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

My apologies.  I missed your reply.  This explains a lot.  In order to use another router in front of an ISPs device, one or the other of them has to be put into bridge or pass-through mode so that both are not acting as DHCP servers.  This creates what is called double NAT.

To resolve, put the AT&T modem/router into bridge or pass-through mode, I would also disable its wireless broadcast and allow everything to be handled by the Google Mesh System.

Tips:

The IP of the AT&T router is 192.168.1.254

Once logged in, you will need to enter the device access code (usually found on a sticker, bottom or side of device) to make configuration changes.  Now you can enable pass-through and disable Wi-Fi.

Google Mesh typically uses 192.168.1.86 for their LAN IP.  You can probably see it on the Google Home App.  Your printer needs to be connected to the same network the devices you want to print from are connected to.  You cannot have 2 routers performing DHCP and NAT connected on the same network.  This will create a network with 2 private subnets.  Hopefully you got this resolved.  If not, reply back and we'll do our best to help. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

This is great! Can't connect if you continually are assigning different IP addresses to devices. I've also split the network into LAN name 2.4GHz and LAN name 5.0GHz and assigning devices that work best on the respective channels. I'll also double check to make sure I'm not broadcasting on my AT&T Router and letting the Google Mesh (I have four Google routers in my home) take care of the Wi-Fi routing.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Len2,

I am pleased to learn of your success.  All of those things are exactly what I do.

My router is tri-band, each broadcast has a separate name

I don't use smart connect or bandwidth steering and the router does not always "know" best or load balance devices on the best band. 

All persistent devices are assigned a static address.

Very few manufacturers tell you about the pitfalls of double NAT, only how to add their router or mesh system to an existing network, diminishing the reliability and performance throughout a home or business.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements