cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MX892 Keeps losing connection when needed.

robertkjr3d
Enthusiast

I don't have a straight USB cord for this thing, and I'm ready to go all 'office space' on it.

It'll work for a good while, but whenever we actually need it. (it will fail!)

It'll say 'Printer not responding' in the canon box.  
The 'Windows 7' box - says ' Error-Printing'.  

The Canon IJ Network Tool says - 'Canon MX890 Series Printer' - Status: Not Found - Port Name: CNB##Masked###

However I can get it to work intermittedly by... 1) abruptly, Pulling the power cord from the printer ... 2) cancelling any failed print jobs... 3) then after putting the power back in, it will accept print jobs again through the wireless network.

But of course these steps are entirely too much for my wife.

I tried to plug it - wired to the lan.  But it says I need to temporary plug it into USB which I don't have.  I can get one.

30 REPLIES 30

Hi DavidNJ,

I would like to see what link quality and signal strength is being reported by the printer.  Use the following steps to print the LAN Details which will show this information:

1.  Make sure that the machine is turned on. Load a sheet of A4 or Letter-sized plain paper

2.  Press the Menu button .Select Setup , then press the OK button.

3.  Select  Device settings, then press the OK button. 

4.  Use the UPDOWN button to select LAN settings, then press the OK button.

5.  Use the UPDOWN button to select Confirm LAN settings, then press the OK button. 

6.  Use the UPDOWN button to select Print LAN details, then press the OK button to confirm the selection.

7.  Use the UPDOWN button to select Yes, then press the OK button to start printing 

Let us know the Link Quality and Signal Strength.  Also, please let us know roughly how far the printer is from the router as well as if there are any walls or floors that seperate the two.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I have the same problem ... MX892 ... Belkin router ... No problems with any of my other computing devices staying connected to wifi.

After the Canon goes to sleep, I can never print to it as the printer is never found.

I have to go to the printer every time and re-find the router.

Please help. Very frustrating and a productivity killer.

Hello josephvellino!

Welcome to the Canon Forums and thanks for your post!

To have a better understanding of your issue, please let everyone know what operating system (Windows Vista/7/8 or Mac OS 10.X) you are using. That way, the community will be able to assist you with suggestions appropriate for your product.

Any other details you'd like to give will only help the Community better understand your issue!

If this is a time-sensitive matter, our US-based technical support team is standing by, ready to help 24/7 via Email at http://bit.ly/EmailCanon or by phone at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666) weekdays between 10 AM and 10 PM ET (7 AM to 7 PM PT).

Thanks!

OS X 10.9.5

Just to confirm, other machines on prem are Windows-based. We don't print from them, but I just did a test and they can't print to the Canon MX892 after it has gone to sleep, either.

The printer continuously needs a forced connection to wifi.

Interestingly (to me, at least), I just scanned a document and the computer found the scanner with no problem.

I then went to print and the computer couldn't find the printer. I connected the printer to wifi again via the menu setting on the printer and was able to print.

So the computer found the scanner without problem but could not then immediately print to the same device until I used the menu setting on the printer to connect to wifi.

I did this and it is stil not connecting. Router Distance from printer is same as always. ?

Lele
Apprentice

First of all, thanks for helping us out, but I believe there is a bigger problem here.

I also have a MX892, set it up to print over wifi from 2 different iPads, a mac, and a laptop (Windows 7), and it all works for a day or so.

But then, wireless printing from my laptop stops working -  it shows the printer as offline. HOWEVER, the 2 iPads and the mac can still print.  But and this is what makes this a bigger issue, I can still wirelessly scan and receive the file onto the same laptop that cannot wirelessly print.

I have already uninstalled and reinstalled the MX892 drivers on the laptop once and that seemed to get the laptop working again, until today.

Michael
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello Lele.

If you are still able to print consistently from the other computers, the issue may be related to a program the Windows laptop.  Please temporarily disable any firewalls or anti-spyware programs on the laptop to see if the unit will be able to communicate.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

One more thing - as noted in my first post, even after I did everything noted below, and it will not wirelessly print (says offline) but I can scan wirelessly.  Why is that?

----------------

I uninstalled and reinstalled the MX892 print drivers and my PC worked for a day - no problems.  Next day, it says printer is offline and cannot print even though the printer is on and other devices print to it.  But again, all other devices - iPads, Macs work fine.

Turned off the Norton 360 firewall and it  still doesn't work. 

Must tell you that with the same laptop with the same Norton 360, same router, same wifi setup, etc. I had been using a MX860 and printing / scanning wirelessly for about a year - no problems at all.  

Just bought this MX892 and now have this idiotic issue.  Ready to return this printer to Canon if this is not fixed and soon.

Announcements