cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MX479, WIRELESS SETUP, NEW ORBI NETWORK

emattie1965
Apprentice

Hello!

I've had this MX479 for a few years now and it's been reliable.  I've run into a few things today that I just can't get around so I thought I would ask you fine folks 🙂

So, I upgraded my network today from a Linksys EA9500 router to the Netgear Orbi RBRE960.  Just a footnote, if you're moving to this device, they nickel and dime you to death with features that should be completely included considering the price you pay.  Think Armor Security (which is Netgear's network security).  Just throwing it out there.

Anyway, I mimicked my network settings on the new device and I believe all the devices reconnected to the new router without issue, expect this printer.  Two things...first, I tried to reset the printer back to factory default by turning it off, holding the stop button for 2 seconds, etc and it acted like it reset.  However, when I try to connect to the new network SSID (which is the old SSID name and password), it tries to connect and fails and it won't give me the opportunity to re-enter the password.  

The other thing I tried was that I went into the menu of the printer and reset all the settings under Device Settings.  That didn't work either. I'd just like to reset the network stuff so I can at least enter the password again for the SSID.  I'd also prefer to connect via IP address instead of Canon's port address.

I've now had to physically connect the printer via USB to my PC but I'd prefer to use the wireless feature.  When I try to connect to my guest network, it prompts me for a password, but not the main SSID.  

Finally, I am using ESET security for my antivirus and network protection on this desktop (and all my others).  I turned off the firewall during these attempts, but that didn't seem to matter.

Just frustrated with this as I really need and use this printer and because I just bought a good amount of expensive ink for this, I'd rather not have to buy a new printer just to get this to work.

ANY help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Maybe this will help.

Netgear Armor is actually Bit Defender.  If you already have ESet AV, you don't need Netgear Armor.  Simply don't subscribe.

I am a member on the Netgear Community and know a fair amount about their hardware.  The newer Orbi systems are great from a hardware perspective.  Netgear's FW has always been its weakness.  Be sure to turn off automatic updates on your Orbi once you find a stable FW that performs well in your environment.  Only update on your schedule and when you want to. The RBRE960 is one of their newest 6e routers. 

Only newer hardware which is Wi-Fi 6 capable will be able to take advantage of this broadcast.  Either way though you have some future proofing in your home now. 

Your printer however will only connect to a 2.4Ghz broadcast.  By default your Orbi uses the same SSID name for both 2.4/5G broadcasts.  This can cause connection issues with older hardware (like your printer).  This feature was formerly called "SMART Connect".  Like so many things Netgear does it was well intended as a convenience feature, but it wasn't as "SMART" as they hoped.  Please review the following:

How do I change the Internet of things (IoT) WiFi band on my Orbi WiFi 6E System? | Answer | NETGEAR...

A little buried, but you can change the "Internet Of Things" SSID name for each broadcast.  See page 58 of your user guide and reference the link above.  Give your 2.4Ghz broadcast a unique name.  Use WPA2-PSK (AES) for security.  Note, you'll need to do this from the routers admin portal..  not from a netgear app on a mobile device.  I actually use separate SSID names for all my networks.  This provides greater control of devices and the broadcast they connect to. 

Broadcasts.png 

I have several netgear routers in use at various places.  I'm using an R8000P at home now and have a first gen Orbi at another property.  I just picked up an Asus XT8 mesh to evaluate for a family member.  Its Wi-Fi 6 (non "e") 1 router, 1 satellite.    I'm going to get it going tomorrow.  One last note.  All of these mesh systems with one or more satellites work best with a wired backhaul.  So if you plan to expand, consider this as its makes a big performance difference. 

Note also, you cannot connect your printer to the "new network" even if you give it the same name.  You have to run the printer's set up again.  See these instructions:

452/479

Microsoft PowerPoint - RouterNetworkChange_MX452_Windows.pptx (canon.com)

Good Luck 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Maybe this will help.

Netgear Armor is actually Bit Defender.  If you already have ESet AV, you don't need Netgear Armor.  Simply don't subscribe.

I am a member on the Netgear Community and know a fair amount about their hardware.  The newer Orbi systems are great from a hardware perspective.  Netgear's FW has always been its weakness.  Be sure to turn off automatic updates on your Orbi once you find a stable FW that performs well in your environment.  Only update on your schedule and when you want to. The RBRE960 is one of their newest 6e routers. 

Only newer hardware which is Wi-Fi 6 capable will be able to take advantage of this broadcast.  Either way though you have some future proofing in your home now. 

Your printer however will only connect to a 2.4Ghz broadcast.  By default your Orbi uses the same SSID name for both 2.4/5G broadcasts.  This can cause connection issues with older hardware (like your printer).  This feature was formerly called "SMART Connect".  Like so many things Netgear does it was well intended as a convenience feature, but it wasn't as "SMART" as they hoped.  Please review the following:

How do I change the Internet of things (IoT) WiFi band on my Orbi WiFi 6E System? | Answer | NETGEAR...

A little buried, but you can change the "Internet Of Things" SSID name for each broadcast.  See page 58 of your user guide and reference the link above.  Give your 2.4Ghz broadcast a unique name.  Use WPA2-PSK (AES) for security.  Note, you'll need to do this from the routers admin portal..  not from a netgear app on a mobile device.  I actually use separate SSID names for all my networks.  This provides greater control of devices and the broadcast they connect to. 

Broadcasts.png 

I have several netgear routers in use at various places.  I'm using an R8000P at home now and have a first gen Orbi at another property.  I just picked up an Asus XT8 mesh to evaluate for a family member.  Its Wi-Fi 6 (non "e") 1 router, 1 satellite.    I'm going to get it going tomorrow.  One last note.  All of these mesh systems with one or more satellites work best with a wired backhaul.  So if you plan to expand, consider this as its makes a big performance difference. 

Note also, you cannot connect your printer to the "new network" even if you give it the same name.  You have to run the printer's set up again.  See these instructions:

452/479

Microsoft PowerPoint - RouterNetworkChange_MX452_Windows.pptx (canon.com)

Good Luck 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Hi Rick!

Wow!  That has to be one of the best responses I've ever received with any question I've ever posted.  I appreciate you taking the time to dig into this for me.

Yes, I'm thankful that it is is future proofed.  I kind of thought the printer might too old and perhaps the band steering was the culprit.  I will definitely move forward with separate SSIDs, was just trying to keep the number of them short as I do pick up a lot of other signals in the area.  Was also hoping due to the cost of this system that it was an all-encompassing network that would be kinder to older hardware.

Regardless, I appreciate your time laying it out for me.  Now I can add this to my list of this to do this weekend!

Have a good one and thanks again!

Announcements