cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MF743C not on network

SFTigger
Apprentice

I ran my current (replacement) MF743C through setup. It acquired an IP address from my router wirelessly -- 192.168.0.172. The router sits about 4 feet away from the printer, so wireless signal strength is not an issue. 

I then go to set up a printer on any computer, and it complains that no printer is available at that IP address. This is regardless of whether it's Windows (10) or Mac (Monterey). I've double-checked with the router, and DHCP has allocated that IP address to the printer. Further, pointing a browser at that IP address should result in the management console but just times out. This makes me suspect that the server software that the printer is supposed to be running just -- doesn't. Either that, or the network interface is bad. Either way, network functions on this printer do not work. 

FWIW, the USB connection works just fine. 

7 REPLIES 7

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

I suggest you reset the printer to defaults and perform set up again.  Leaving IP address assignment to DHCP on a device which will remain persistent on your network isn't neccessarily reliable.  Assigning a static IP or reserving an IP by the network adapters MAC address is a much better option. 

Tell us more about your router.  Is it dual or triband?  If dual, are you using the same SSID name for both 2.4 and 5G broadcasts?  The printer can only connect to a 2.4Ghz broadcast.  

Verify the configuration.  Does the printer's wireless configuration show connected to your network?  We aren't there to see your environment and don't want to assume anything. 

When your computer and printer are both verfied to be on the same Lan segment, can you ping the printers IP from a command prompt.  Does it reply?

Are you using any 3rd party antivirus software that might block communications between it and other devices?

Could a firewall be interfearing with detection?  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

SFTigger
Apprentice

OK, steps taken: 

* Had the printer go through setup again. 
* Registered it on the network; same IP address.
* Reset the printing system on my Mac
* Re-add the printer
* Sent a job -- success!
* Rebooted the Mac
* Attempted to send another job -- printer not available
* Attempted to ping the printer's IP address -- timeout

And for what it’s worth, a triband router. 

SFTigger
Apprentice

Better luck doing a factory reset on the router. I'm betting that there was a bad cached IP/MAC address mapping that wasn't showing up in its UI. 

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Dodgy firmware.  That certainly wouldn't be the first time.  So are you squared away now?  I'm tri-band as well.  I'd still recommend using a static IP.  

Typical scenario.  Connect printer, Router assigns DHCP address.  Then, you don't use the printer, it goes to sleep, gets turned off, etc.  Now you need it and you send a job to it.  The computer uses the last known IP..  but its changed, or is no longer in the routers ARP table.  The lease time on most consumer grade equipment is short.   Relying on Bonjour or WSD to resolve, often iffy.  

But a static IP never changes.  

Cheers,

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

ipWitan
Contributor

I have some funny issues with my mf733 that were never resolved. Printer is showing a jam that doesn't exist, which is why I am on these forums. Only 4000 prints old...  n any event, try connecting the printer directly via LAN since it is so close. I had an issue where when it was on LAN, two desktops via LAN and a old Sony laptop via wifi connected great...but a new Surface via wifi, nope.  Last year I build a new machine with built in wifi. When that machine was connected to the LAN, found printer, when connected via wifi, printer was offline. Router also did not see the printer as a printer (Verizon), it was super strange. Lan pcs still found it with no problem. Just yesterday I added a cheap hp1102w which is probably 10+ years old. It is connected via wifi, and what do you know, all machines in the house can find it....the LANs and that pesky Surface.  So unfortunately, I lean towards the printer server software is terrible as opposed to your router needs a reboot.  But hey, a reboot every now and then isn't a bad thing.  Please post if you solve your problem. As to the above, YES, putting it on a static IP address is better, I doubt it is your problem. I switched mine around all different ways for years at a time and it didn't matter. Discovery should find it if it is not used an a new ip address is assigned to it.

ipWitan
Contributor

I wonder if there is something like the PC using 5G to the router, and the router trying to communicate via 5G to the printer and failing. Perhaps try turning 5g off at the router and see if anything changes. 

Announcements