cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MF656Cdw IP address changing

llazarow
Apprentice

I recently purchased and installed a Canon MF656Cdw laser printer. Over the past two weeks, I have received multiple messages stating that my IP address changed. This situation then renders my printer unusable since my machines can no longer connect to the printer.

How do I keep a static IP address associated with my printer?

1 REPLY 1

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

You can set a static or reserved IP for the printer on whatever is providing DHCP to your network.  

For many this is your router.  If the hardware is issued by your ISP, check their website for a user guide.

Essentially, you will look at your LAN settings.  Here you will see the range or pool of IP addresses the router uses for IP assignment.  Now look at your attached devices and decide what IP you want to assign or reserve for the printer.  After the assignment, restart the printer so it gets the IP you have specified.  Now remove and reinstall the printer on your PC.  Moving forward the router will always/only assign this IP to the printer.  This only has to be done once.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements