cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IPV keeps changing on my imageCLASS MF653Cdw

colscuba
Contributor

I just bought the imageClass MF653Cdw.  The only two people who use this is myself and my wife in our home.  I thought I sent it up fine (I had to manually input the IP address for the scanner).  Today when I go to print the IPV IP address is different (and yes I get that warning).  If I reconnect to wireless then it prints fine.  I turned it off and turned it back on and same  thing happened.  What did I do wrong?  What do I need to fix?   (oh and I did not set it up where I needed a PIN to print or anything like that) Thank you

11 REPLIES 11

normadel
Authority
Authority

You should use static IP addresses for printers for just this reason. DHCP-assigned addresses can change for a number of reasons, resulting in the computer not finding the printer. A range of available static IP addresses gets set on your router, then the printer/scanner is assigned an address in this range. This is done in the printer's network settings. The supplier (your ISP)  or manufacturer of the router can help you with this

colscuba
Contributor

Thanks.  Tried but that didn't work.  I assigned it the IP address starting with I92 and it still switched back to 169, which is an invalid IP.  But it says it's connected to my wifi network.  This is so frustrating.  Any other ideas?  is it the printer or do I have an issue with my router or modem.  It just shouldn't be this hard

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Where are you assigning the IP address?

It should be done on the router.  Its not a difficult process, but might be if you are not familiar with it.  

If the printer is showing a 169.x address it is not getting an IP address or routable destination.

What is the brand and model is your modem/router?  Maybe we can find a user guide for it that will walk you through the steps.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

colscuba
Contributor

I am putting the IP from the routher on the Printer.  The router starts with 192.x  The printer is the one that will suddenly switch to the 169.x    My Modem is a Motorola SURFboard Model SB6141 and my router is a Netgear Orbi RBR50 and I have two satellites.  I have also analyzed the speed in the basement, where the printer is at, at the speed and connection is very fast.  Of course I think that is the 5Ghz.  Don't know how to check just for the 2.4 GHz

If you are in fact setting the printer with a static IP address, it should not change. It may not be connecting with the router, but its own address is fixed. It can't change. 

The address you are giving it MUST be set aside on the router so it will not be given to any other device via DHCP. If the address you give the printer is being given via DHCP to some other device you will have problems.

At present I have it set by DHCP, so no I'm not setting it I am just reporting.  Sorry poorly worded by me.  So again, the Router is giving an IP of 192.x  the Printer is picking up the IP of 192.x  then it switches on it's own to 169.x usualy after I ask it to print.  What tech support said  was the printer is loosing the signal (although it looks like it's connected).  When I try to reconnect my printer to my router it sometimes goes back to 192.x but more often not.  Hope that is more clear.   

But what I'm hearing from you is turn off the DHCP on the printer set it to the 192.x address.  I actually tried that and that didn't work.  It still switched to 169.x.  So lossing the signal????

Do what I said. If you don't know how, get some local help. 

Yes, you are DISABLING DHCP ON THE PRINTER when you choose "Static Address".

The DHCP function on a router automatically gives IP addresses to networked devices. They will be in the range of 192.xxx.xxx.2 to 255. The xxxes depend on the make of your router.

What you do to have a static IP on a network device is to tell the router to keep an address or range of addresses out of the DHCP pool. On some routers, this is all. On other routers, you can tell it to give a specific address to a specific device.

Since I'm not on the scene , this is as much I can tell you. That's why you need the help of someone who knows your hardware.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

You're in luck.  I own both of these devices at one of my houses.  Just got to the office. You're going to have to give me a little time to get back to you.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thanks looking forward to your help

Announcements