cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I install PIXMA TR7820 drivers on UBUNTU

JohnH1
Apprentice

Needed a new printer.  Searches suggested that Canon will run on UBUNTU.  Purchased a TR7820.  Customer service stated Canon does not support UBUNTU, but did give me the drivers.  I need help installing them please.

I'm thinking that I need to know the terminal commands?

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3

normadel
Authority
Authority

What is the driver file(s) you have? I see the driver for Linux Debian release (which Ubuntu is) at Canon Support for the printer. It is a compressed .deb file. If you double-click it, it should expand into a .deb file. Double-clicking the .deb file should cause it to run and install.

Thanks for your reply.  I did as you suggested and all it did was open the files.  I then double clicked each debian file, which further opened.  I also tried extracting at each step.  The printer is recognized, but when I attempt to print all I get is "save as a pdf".

Sorry this didn't work. I have two Canon printers, a multifunction laser that does install just by clicking the .deb file, and a Pixma MG5420 that was a nightmare to figure out how to get it installed. It is a five-step process involving finding and downloading dependencies and and other stuff. I banged my head against a wall for some time before finding everything and getting a working process

It's a shame Canon offers Linux drivers with no info on how to get them installed.  I have two Brother networked printers, inkjet and laser, that are seen and added by Linux Mint and are fully functional without having to install or do ANYTHING.

Do web searches for installing the printer in Linux, try Ubuntu forums, find a Linux geek who can help.  Also, if you see a file called "install.sh", try double-clicking it or right-clicking it and see if that leads to installation.

Announcements