cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Pixma TS9160 on WiFi

cheshbr
Apprentice

I'm new to this forum but not to IT and home computing.  On 20 Feb 2020 I purchased a Canon Pixma TS9160 and have been setting it up and tweaking it since then.  It is functioning as a WiFi printer and scanner, but when I try to scan to attach to an email, the only option is "Local(USB)".  I have had Canon printers before and on those devices my (Mac) computer was listed, but not this time.  My printer is not connected by USB.  I tried selecting the black Start button, but that resulted in the message "Set the PC to start scanning".  At this point nothing further happens

3 REPLIES 3

Porcha
Rising Star

Hi,

Welcome to The Canon Forums, and thank you for your inquiry!

We appreciate your participation, however, we need to let you know that the Canon Forum is hosted and moderated within the United States by Canon USA. We are only able to provide support for Canon products manufactured for and used within the US market.

If you live outside the United States, to go: https://global.canon and select your country or region for your support needs.

Feel free to discuss Canon products sold outside of the United States, but please be aware that you will not receive support directly from Canon USA.

Thanks.  I'm not looking for Canon support.  I have 12 months warranty in Australia if I need it.  What I am seekins is to understand from others in forums why I can't see in the Canon printer config screen a link to the iMac I'm using on my network.

My network consists of a Unifi USG and three UAPs and a Canon Pixma TS9160 

I'd appreciate some feedback please

Thanks

Hi Cheshbr.

PIXMA multifunction printers require the appropriate scanning software to be installed on a network computer in order to see that computer as a valid scan destination.  In the case of the U.S.-released TS9120, that will be the IJ Scan Utility (or IJ Scan Utility Lite on Mac OS computers).

The TS9100 series supports 5G wifi (802.11 A or AC), meaning the printer will work on either a 5G or 2.4 GHz (802.11 B/G/N) connection.  Depending on your access point/router/switch's settings, a 5G-connected device may be prevented from communicating with a 2.4 GHz connected device.

If you're using a distributed mesh network, the TS9100 series may run into issues depending on its configuration.  It's designed to use only one device at a time as its access point/router/switch and SSID.  If each node uses a sequential SSID (i.e. Network.001, Network.002, etc.), then each will be treated by the printer as a seprate network, and it will only be able to communicate on its primary node.

Try installing the necessary Canon drivers/software on the computers in question.  if those do not fully correct the problem, then you may need to adjust your network's settings to ensure the printer is able to communicate without issue.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Announcements