cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Pixma IP8720 Wireless Connection - Solutions

richbutler1
Apprentice

I am an IT professional and also had some challenges with the IP8720's new wireless setup. Some of this advice may help with other models. 

My understanding is that this model communicates only over the 2.4Ghz wifi bandwidth. As a result, some newer Wifi routers may either be dual band (both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz) In my case, I have a Google Nest Wifi setup. This defaults wifi devices that have 5Ghz to that band. The laptop I used to setup my fancy new Canon printer was on 5Ghz. A known workaround to force a device to 2.4Ghz is to make it join the Google Nest Wifi GUEST network. 

Here's where the fun and trickery begin. In order to get the laptop AND the printer to perform the initial setup using the final PRIMARY wifi SSID (Wifi network's name) and password, you have to trick both devices into joining the GUEST network to force 2.4Ghz and the laptop and printer to play nice with each other.  Here's the important part...you have to TEMPORARILY give your GUEST wifi the exact same SSID(Network name) and password as your PRIMARY network. To do this, it's a few steps.

1) From your mobile phone, Open Google Home App. Go to Wifi. Click gear icon in top right. 

2) Write down both your PRIMARY network name and password for later

3) Tap GUEST Network, Manage; write down your GUEST network and password as they are. Click the back arrow at top left to return to the Primary network screen. Click the gear icon at top right

4) Temporarily rename your PRIMARY network: whatever it's called, delete only the last letter. Same for the password because Google Nest Wifi makes sure that your PRIMARY and GUEST networks don't have the same password. Good practice. Click SAVE. If you need to, write down the new SSID(Network name) and password (with the last characters temporarily removed)

5) Click on Guest Network, Manage

6) Rename your GUEST network name to the original PRIMARY network name and original full password (original full name/PW from step 2) , click save

7) From your laptop you're using to setup Canon PIXMA IP8720, ensure your wifi is connected to the normal network name you use that is now being temporarily forced to your GUEST network to be on 2.4Ghz

😎 From here, restart or continue the Canon setup. Your printer should now be detected.

9) After setup completes fully, from your mobile phone, open Google Home app, wifi, scroll tro bottom, tap Guest Network, edit the guest network name back to it's original values from step 3, save

10) wait, click back arrow to reutrn to Wifi screen, tap gear in top right. Revert your PRIMARY network to the original values from step 2, save, wait

11) You may have to power printer off and on to get wifi light to return to steady blue.

NOTE: During this process all/many of your devices in the house will lose wifi/internet connection. Let everyone know it will happen before you start to prevent outage rage 🙂

I hope this helps some of you out there. Similar approaches may be followed using mobile device wifi hotspots to spoof your wifi's primary network SSID and password. You will have to power off your router and access points during that time so the hotspot is the only SSID on with that name and password. Have your laptop join that hotspot wifi network and run setup to reach the printer.

This is just some of the tech fun that comes with changing technologies. In this case, a printer with 2.4Ghz only and newer wifi with dual band (@.4 and 5ghz) that don't play nice together. I hope your printer makes some great pictures!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

GloverCom
Apprentice

Thank you, thank you, previous posters...

I was tearing my hair out trying to get this to work on my Mac (and PC!) with both a cable and the Wifi.

Don't try to use your computer to set it up.

The correct answer is:

1. Download the "Canon Print" app to your phone.
  2. Put your Printer in Wifi Setup mode (Hold Wifi Button until top buton blinks twice and quickly let go)
  3. The "Canon Print" app will then find it and allow you connect it up to your regular Wifi Network.

TLDR: The printer uses 2.4Ghz. Your computer and router wanna to stay comfy at 5Ghz. Your Phone is more forgiving of this discrepancy.

*Posting this more for my own reference so when I try to do this again in a couple years, I'll be able to Google my own answer.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

akegb3
Apprentice
Hi, thanks for this post which gave me (retired IT pro) an idea similar to your workaround. I simply activated the 2.4ghz guest network which allowed the printer to connect using the Canon Print smartphone app. Then once connected I found the network configuration page of the printer and change the SSID, IP address, security (WPA2) and saved the settings!

GloverCom
Apprentice

Thank you, thank you, previous posters...

I was tearing my hair out trying to get this to work on my Mac (and PC!) with both a cable and the Wifi.

Don't try to use your computer to set it up.

The correct answer is:

1. Download the "Canon Print" app to your phone.
  2. Put your Printer in Wifi Setup mode (Hold Wifi Button until top buton blinks twice and quickly let go)
  3. The "Canon Print" app will then find it and allow you connect it up to your regular Wifi Network.

TLDR: The printer uses 2.4Ghz. Your computer and router wanna to stay comfy at 5Ghz. Your Phone is more forgiving of this discrepancy.

*Posting this more for my own reference so when I try to do this again in a couple years, I'll be able to Google my own answer.

This solution got me fiarther than ever in hooking up my iP8720 but in the end the phone and printer still wouldn't communicate.  Using the phone, I was able to use Canon Print and actually get the printer to blink and look like it was communicating.  But finally, the messsage came back that the installation had failed and that was the end of it.  Using the phone got me further than ever before so I will try go thru that again.  In the meantime, the USB connection works perfectly!  Thanks for this forum!

The4JaysMom
Apprentice

In the end, I installed with usb connected and assigned the ip8720 to a node and got prompted for printer password that I didn't know existed! It is the serial number on the back of the printer. So, if setup is not asking for printer password, then no wonder the wifi can't find it! Now I need to see if I can remove the printer password option so I don't have to keep reinstalling to my Windows 11 machine when issues. My samsung galaxy s21ultra can see printer now consistently, but my pc gets confused. Also ordered a longer printer cord. Wish this had come with an ethernet cable connection because that would've solved any outdated driver issues. I could've connected to router and been done with it! I guess Canon needs to make more 9600dpi printers like they used to! Not the pro $500 and up ones only... Then the software would be smarter. But it seems that newer mesh routers, more expensive ones, are coming out with a dedicated Iop server at 2.4Ghz to help with old devices and smart home accessories. A guest network hack doesn't work unless you can "share" with main network for printers. Love the printouts of ip8720, so still working out kinks with my old Deco M9 mesh router (got in 2020). I learned more than I should have to!!!

Announcements