cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Pixma 922 constantly losing network connection

conticreative
Contributor

I own a Canon Pixma 922 and from the very start I have been having issues with the netrworking staying connected.

My network is a simple 3 computer connected to a D-link 655 router with WPS abilities.

before this printer I had a very similar, older model. I set that up once, after purchase and until it finally gave up the ghost it remained connected solidly to all the computers in the house, including laptops that connected once a month if that. Power went out several times and it remained reliably connected.

The new Pixma 922 instead disconnects from the network several times a day. The record so far has been 3 whole days without the need to reset it. Otherwise the moment we try to print and the print job is not running, we just go to the rpouter, press the WAP button and quickly reset the network. After that it will work reliably for a few hours until the next time (usually later in the day).

I don;t need to point out how disappointed I am. For me it's rather easy to reset, but my wife is constantly aggraved by it (as if I designed it) and my daughter always forget how to do it and has to wait for me.

I have been unable to find similar posts to this one, so I assume it's not an endemic problem. But is there a way to fix it or at least troubleshoot it?

14 REPLIES 14

ametaldiva
Apprentice

I am having a similar problem.  For example, I just turned on my laptop this morning (which has been continually connected to the MX922 for several days now) and the printer status is "Printer not responding".  This happens quite frequently.  I had an older model wireless Canon printer before this one, and I never had this issue.  I have had the MX922 for just a few months and this has been an issue from almost the beginning if I remember correctly.  I did not print that much after I purchased the printer so the problem didn't really become noticeable until the last few weeks.  I have to turn the printer off and back on in order to get it to work/print anything...  This is very annoying and frustrating...  I have tried many things, like reinstalling the drivers and software, resetting the router/modem, etc., and nothing seems to keep it connected.  

Can someone please help with this issue? Smiley Mad

dfcollin
Apprentice
Just curious, who is your ISP? Mine is Comcast/Xfinity.

Hi, I have broadband/cable internet through Bright house Networks in Central Florida...

I have Comcast Business. Not exactly Xfinity (I switched to DISH and I am much happier) .

But the issue is with the printer and router.

I finally connected to my networ using the password instead of the silly blue button on my router and so far the connection has persisted for over a week.

That means I should have done it much sooner, but also thatn this "easier" connection is not reliable.

You mean you used your network name and password like other wireless devices?  Yeah, WPS seems flaky.

Conticreative there are problems with Xfinity's ASSIS gateway. A lot of Windows computers -- including mine -- were getting their computers stuck in "Identifying host..." or "waiting for site..." endless loops. It turns out the encrypting settings they  tell you to set up don't work. You have to drop down to a lower level encription.

That probably isn't what's wrong with the pixma 922, but it suggests there are flaws in Xfinity's system and maybe Canon too. I continue to have failed wifi connections to my pixma 922. I have 3 Apple products and usually when I try to print from them I get "No AirPrint Printers Found." I just spent half and hour trying to print from my wife's Windows desktop PC to print to the 922. I finally connected the computer to the printer by USB cable. The wifi just doesn't seem to wake up the printer or it can't figure out what driver to use.  Or something...

I have never experienced that, but I am not surprised.

in my case I am now able to print from  my win 64 PC, my Mac Mini, my wife's win 7/32bit laptop (which was really the huge headache for me) and from my toilet paper roll if I'd ever bother to connect it.

Compared to the hell we went through for more than a year, pressing the friggin button, reconnecting the printer twice or more a day. My router is, of course, in a corner where I have to climb over a desk and behind a shelving system just to press that silly button. Compared to that, this is heaven. It hasn't lost its connection since the day I switched. 

My mistake was to assume that Canon changed the way connections worked and that this was the new way to do it. I didn't realize it was an additional "easy" (for whom, I wouldn't know) connection method.

I guess after keeping udated on JS, PHP, Phyton, HTML, HTML5, XHTML, CSS and CSS3, facebook, twitter, gmail, analytics, google this and that, and more, I had little brainpower left to really think about this.

I am just happy that it works. It seems like a minor miracle each time I print  something. I want to drop on my knees and shout Hallelujah! (and I have been an atheist for almost 50 years)

Good luck to you all.

pecocus
Apprentice

Exact same issue...  the only difference is that I don't have to reset my router, I can power cycle the printer and it reconnects.

p2t
Apprentice

New to the Forum, brought here because I began experiencing the same problem after my 922 worked flawlessly for ten months.  Day One and I wasted four hours following other threads.  Uninstalling drivers, reinstalling, only to get hung up on the process with the SAME error message that started the whole mess!   I did NOT use WPS to connect.  I did key in my password.  I cannot see where anyone has posted a solution other than this recommendation.  PLEASE point me in the right direction and tell me that there IS another solution.  Thanks much.

Announcements