cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Color ImageCLASS MF743Cdw will not print via WiFi network from Macbook Pro M1

madelyncorinne
Apprentice

Since using my new Macbook Pro M1, I cannot print via WiFi network connection on my Canon Color ImageCLASS MF743Cdw.

My own troubleshooting so far:

I have downloaded the most recent Canon drivers on my Mac, though macOS Monterey is not listed on Canon's drivers... and I have updated the printer as well. I have updated the Network settings, etc. I am getting no Network connection errors from the printer, and the connection is "good." I am connected to the same WiFi network on my Mac and the printer. I have deleted the printer and added the printer again on my Mac as well.

In the print window on my Mac, it says "the printer is not responding."

Any ideas? Has Canon just not kept up with macOS on M1's?

2 REPLIES 2

bborcherding
Contributor

I had this exact same issue (before and after I got my MacBook Pro 16" M1). I have an Eero wireless network throughout the house with multiple Macs, iPhones and iPads all trying to print to my MF743cdw. I found two ways to address the "printer not found issue" (after quite a bit of trial and error). First, I found that my printer was often getting a new IP address from the Eero network via DNS which resulted in the Macs no longer being able of connect (as apparently the Apple printer add features locks in a fixed IP address). To solve this I checked the IP address assigned to the printer and then went into the network settings on the printer and changed the IPv4 settings to use fixed address and added the IP address from above. I then went into printer settings on all my Macs, deleted the auto selected printer and re-added the printer by using the IP address (not the auto). This seemed to work until it didn't. Apparently my Eero network would still change the IP ranges and sometimes the fixed address would be out of range and my Macs could no longer connect. This was a bit of a head scratcher having not achieved a CCIE or CCNA certification. The more elegant solution is to have your router fix (or reserve) the printer IP address. This will ensure that the network always assigns the same IP address to the printer...and your Macs will no longer lose connection. 

Hector
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello Madelyncorinne.

If you are using Mac OS 12 Monterey, you can download the drivers for your operating system using the link provided HERE. You can click on the option for drivers and downloads and select Mac OS12 in the operating system list to find the downloads that are compatible with your operating system.

If you are having problems with the wireless connection between the Mac and printer, you can try setting a static IP address on the printer using the steps in the link HERE. Once the printer has a static IP address and you have installed the drivers for OS 12 onto your Mac, you can try adding the printer again to see if the connection works for you.

If you continue to have issues, I would suggest contacting support at 1-800-652-2666. Our agents would be happy to help.

Announcements