cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot Connect Scanner to Mac

katshe77
Apprentice

I have a new mac laptop (first mac). My printer/scanner is a Canon MX452. The printer shows up in my list of printers in System Preferences "Printer & Scanners" and I can print from my Mac to the printer. I've got the printer set up and working. However, the same device is also a scanner, but it does not list itself as one there and gives no scan option. 

I downloaded the scan driver from the Canon website, and I have "Canon IJ Scan Utility" in my applications. I can open that, but when I try to scan it says Scanner is turned off or USB cable is disconnected. My scanner is on, but I don't have the computer attached to it with a cable. I want to wirelessly scan (just like I can print).

On my scanner when I try to go to settings to detect this Mac it does not see it and offer it as an option. 

Is there a way I can get the wireless scanning set up? Any ideas? Or must I hook up with a cable (which I would have to buy an adaptor for etc.)? 

(FYI the wireless scanning does work for my PC.)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Caemene
Rising Star

Hi katshe77,

To troubleshoot the scanning issues on your Mac, please perform the followingt troubleshooting steps:

1. Open the Mac program Image Capture.
  2. In the upper left corner locate the catagories: Device & Shared.
  3. One of the catagories should have a number other than 0 (zero) next to it, click on the number.
  4. If it display's the MX450 the Computer does see the scanner wirelessly.
  5. If it does not, the computer does not see the scanner wireless.
  6. Close Image Capture.

If Image Capture listed the MX450 in the upper left corner, perform the following steps:

1. Open the Canon IJ Scan Utility.
  2. Locate Product Name towards the top of the window on the right.
  3. Make sure it says MX450 series Network, if it does not adjust the drop-down box.
  4. Click on SETTINGS in the lower right corner.
  5. Click on the TOOLS icon in the upper left corner.
  6. Click on SELECT to the right of the Product Name.
  7. The IJ NETWORK SCANNER SELECTOR EX window opens.
  8. Confirm/Select the MX450 series printer is selected and ensure Do Not Use is not selected.
  9. Click on SCAN-FROM-OPERATION-PANEL SETTINGS at the bottom of the window.
  10. Confirm/Select the MX450 series printer is selected on the list.
  11. Press OK to close the following windows:
    • Scan-From-Operation-Panel
    • Settings
  12. Perform test scan.

If Image Capture does not list the MX450 in the upper left corner, perform the following steps:

There is an additional driver that can be downloaded from the Canon website that will assist with the communication between the scanner and the computer. 

1. Click HERE to go to the Canon website for the MX452 Drivers & Downloads. 
  2. Below the Drivers & Downloads section and next to OPERATING SYSTEM, you should see your operating system detected.
  3. If you are running macOS Mojave v10.14 adjust it to macOS High Sierra v10.13
  4. A little further below and to the right, click on the SELECT button next to the file titled "ICA Driver Ver. 4.0.0a (Mac)"
  5. Click on the red DOWNLOAD button.
  6. If you are asked if you want to save the file, do so.
  7. Close the web browser, and go to your Downloads folder.
  8. Double click on the file name "misd-mac-ijscanner5-4_0_0-ea19_2.dmg."
  9. In the window that opens, double-click on the icon that looks like an open box with a yellow package inside.
  10. A welcome screen will appear.
  11. Follow the on-screen instructions to install the software on your computer.
  12. Restart the computer.
  13. Perform a test scan.

View solution in original post

37 REPLIES 37

Caemene
Rising Star

Hi katshe77,

To troubleshoot the scanning issues on your Mac, please perform the followingt troubleshooting steps:

1. Open the Mac program Image Capture.
  2. In the upper left corner locate the catagories: Device & Shared.
  3. One of the catagories should have a number other than 0 (zero) next to it, click on the number.
  4. If it display's the MX450 the Computer does see the scanner wirelessly.
  5. If it does not, the computer does not see the scanner wireless.
  6. Close Image Capture.

If Image Capture listed the MX450 in the upper left corner, perform the following steps:

1. Open the Canon IJ Scan Utility.
  2. Locate Product Name towards the top of the window on the right.
  3. Make sure it says MX450 series Network, if it does not adjust the drop-down box.
  4. Click on SETTINGS in the lower right corner.
  5. Click on the TOOLS icon in the upper left corner.
  6. Click on SELECT to the right of the Product Name.
  7. The IJ NETWORK SCANNER SELECTOR EX window opens.
  8. Confirm/Select the MX450 series printer is selected and ensure Do Not Use is not selected.
  9. Click on SCAN-FROM-OPERATION-PANEL SETTINGS at the bottom of the window.
  10. Confirm/Select the MX450 series printer is selected on the list.
  11. Press OK to close the following windows:
    • Scan-From-Operation-Panel
    • Settings
  12. Perform test scan.

If Image Capture does not list the MX450 in the upper left corner, perform the following steps:

There is an additional driver that can be downloaded from the Canon website that will assist with the communication between the scanner and the computer. 

1. Click HERE to go to the Canon website for the MX452 Drivers & Downloads. 
  2. Below the Drivers & Downloads section and next to OPERATING SYSTEM, you should see your operating system detected.
  3. If you are running macOS Mojave v10.14 adjust it to macOS High Sierra v10.13
  4. A little further below and to the right, click on the SELECT button next to the file titled "ICA Driver Ver. 4.0.0a (Mac)"
  5. Click on the red DOWNLOAD button.
  6. If you are asked if you want to save the file, do so.
  7. Close the web browser, and go to your Downloads folder.
  8. Double click on the file name "misd-mac-ijscanner5-4_0_0-ea19_2.dmg."
  9. In the window that opens, double-click on the icon that looks like an open box with a yellow package inside.
  10. A welcome screen will appear.
  11. Follow the on-screen instructions to install the software on your computer.
  12. Restart the computer.
  13. Perform a test scan.

Where is the Mac program "Image Capture"? Is it under Applications?

I can print wirelessly from my Mac, but my Pixma MX522 scanner doesn't work since I downloaded Catalina. I downloaded the software Canon IJNetwork Tool 4.7.2 and Quick Menu 2.8 with no effect. Where to go, what to do? Thanks.

I called Support at Canon and was told that the 522 Pixma scanner is not compatible with the Catalina iOS. He suggested that I use Apple's Image Capture instead.

I tried those instructions for my MF4450.  I have downloaded the new driver.   I receive this message:

The operation couldn't be completed (com.apple.imagecapture error

5294957375.) (-9921)

Scanner shows connected until I attempt to scan to Mac.

It shows me the printer and tells me to scan and then the scan gives an error saying not able to connect.

Once i restart the printer it shows connected but the scan button is greyed out.

This is the solution right here. Download the driver.

What posting were you referring to when you said the solution is right here? Sould you provide a link to the downloadable driver? Thanks.

I just purchased a Canon Pixma G7020 and have set it up wirelessly. I have been able to print from my computer but not scan. I downloaded the Scanner Utility and tried to set it up. It's not recognizing the scanner. I get the same message as mentioned in earlier posts.

I tried the Image Capture solution mentioned in a previous post, and Image Capture sees the scanner but the Canon Scanner Utility does not.

I tried to scan directly from the printer/scanner itself, using the panel, but that requires saving a scanned image to the computer. Since the machine doesn't work wirelessly, the only save option requires me to connect the machine via a USB cable rather than wirelessly.

Needless to say this is frustrating! Part of why I bought this printer was that I read that many things could be done using web-based software rather than the hard-to-read panel. But if the software doesn't work, that the option is not viable.

Has anyone come up with a solution to this problem? Did Canon support offer any solutions?

Thanks

Announcements