cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assign IP to imageCLASS MF455dw

W1AST
Apprentice

A client has a new ImageClass MF455dw. He has been having power outages and the software has not been finding the printer when power returns or the next time he goes to print. The printer is set up wirelessly.

Is there a way to set a static IP. Lock it in so that it always stays the same, like the next time the power drops and returns.

Thank you in advance.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

A reserved or static IP can be set on the printer or router.  I recommend the router.  Once complete, restarting the printer will allow it to grab the reserved / static IP.

We might be able to provide more specific information, if you provided the brand / model of your router.

Optional: Buy a UPS.  There is no reason to subject sensitive electrical devices to power outages, surges, dips, fluctuations, etc.   Small investment, huge return. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

normadel
Authority
Authority

You can set a static IP address on the printer, but you also have to set your router to have that address in a static address range (a range of IP addresses reserved for devices you want to give static addresses to).  If you don't do this, and the printer is turned off for any length of time, the router could give the address to something else. Then things get messy. Look at the setup guide for your router. If this is beyond you, get the help of a knowledgeable computer user or the router manufacturer.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

A reserved or static IP can be set on the printer or router.  I recommend the router.  Once complete, restarting the printer will allow it to grab the reserved / static IP.

We might be able to provide more specific information, if you provided the brand / model of your router.

Optional: Buy a UPS.  There is no reason to subject sensitive electrical devices to power outages, surges, dips, fluctuations, etc.   Small investment, huge return. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

He's running a TP-Link Deco M5 Mesh system. Thank you for your help.

Greetings,

See page 29, Advanced > Address Reservation:

Deco M5 Manual 

One important note.  Is there another router or ISP gateway in front of the Deco Mesh system? 

If yes, you will need to put the ISP's hardware into bridge or pass-through mode.  You cannot have 2 devices performing NAT and DHCP on the same network.  This only applies of the device is a router, if its a modem (only) it does not apply.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

The router does not GIVE the static IP address to the printer. You have to give THE PRINTER the address you want it to have.  All you are doing on the router is making sure the printer's chosen address is not given automatically via DHCP to anything else.

I just bought a PIXMA G2260 and I cannot get an IP address for it. It works well connected to the USB cable though. Thanks in advance!

Everything I find on the G2260printer indicates that it DOES NOT HAVE NETWORK CONNECTIVITY function. It is a wired-USB printer only.

Did someone tell you it has networking capability?

Hi Normadel,

Thanks for the prompt, kind reply. 

I read the information posted at Amazon about this printer and I never read that it did not have Network Connectivity, otherwise I would not have bought it.

Thanking you again,

Printer ads and specs do not say that a printer DOES NOT have network capability. The say  IF IT DOES, and what kind.

There are USB network (wired and wifi) print servers available to make your printer networkable. Search on the web. Amazon has lots, and elsewhere. There are articles discussing them. Don't ever rely solely on Amazon ads to have all the information.

I have not used one so can't recommend any specific model. Consider that regardless of claims, some printers may not like working through a print server so if you get one, make sure it is returnable. .

If you want to know all the details of a printer (or camera or anything else) go to Canon's (or whoever's) website and look it up. 

Every UPS I have had says NOT TO plug laser printers into the battery-backup sockets. They draw more amps than a UPS can provide.

Announcements