cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

shutter release not working S100

sandysorlien
Apprentice

Hello,

I am suddenly having problems with my S100. It will not take the picture when I press the shutter release. In case I had accidentally changed something, I did a Reset to Defaults. Then it worked, briefly, before returning to not working. It also would not let me change My Colors.  Everything else seems to be working fine.  Any ideas?

575 REPLIES 575

One clarification:

Are you actually re-soldering (adding new solder) or just re-heating / reflowing the existing solder on those points?

As the third poster in this long thread from almost 6 years ago, I'm happy to see this DIY solution, at long last!

@5tr4t4 wrote:

One clarification:

Are you actually re-soldering (adding new solder) or just re-heating / reflowing the existing solder on those points?

Reheating was enough for my case. Still, I do not know how long will it last. Now it is working but I doubt the joint is better than when it was done in factory, under proper reflow soldering profile, which guarantee that all the termal stresses are relaxed, and with a new soldering paste. If/when it failes, then I wilI try to remove old solder and put a new one. 

Thank you! I can confirm that this fixed my S100 also (!) ... after six years of sitting in a box. I watched the solder closely under a magnifying glass until I could see it just turn to liquid and sag from the heat, almost 2 full seconds with the very tip of a hot, pointed iron. After pulling away the solder re-hardended and I could immediately take pics with the little white button.

Who knows how long it will last, but it's an easy fix to do again if I have to and it's nice to have this little cam to use again.

Wow that is so cool!  The magnifying glass is great addition.

Is there access to, or a bit of space underneath the shutter switch, where you might be able to add in a thin spacer or a shim of some sort to support the switch more solidly? Maybe this would relieve the solder joints from the stress of additional flexing of the PC by continued shutter button usage. Might help to make your repair more permanent.

If it were me I would apply epoxy around the base of the switch that will take the stress off the joints. If or when mine fails in this same manner that is exactly what I will do. I would only take the time to do that because I have the waterproof case for it which by itself is worth more than a used, working S100. One thing I would not do is just do the solder repair and put it all back together again.

jakub
Contributor

Last try. This time without complaining about some engineers 🙂

Copy and save it while you can!

lol go back 2 pages your original post is there

5tr4t4
Apprentice
I thought the same thing but didn't have any epoxy on hand and wanted to test the soldering solution. Honestly, it's 8 small screws and under 10 min for the whole operation. I'll take your good advice, though, some day soon and handle it properly.
Announcements