cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

shutter release not working S100

sandysorlien
Apprentice

Hello,

I am suddenly having problems with my S100. It will not take the picture when I press the shutter release. In case I had accidentally changed something, I did a Reset to Defaults. Then it worked, briefly, before returning to not working. It also would not let me change My Colors.  Everything else seems to be working fine.  Any ideas?

575 REPLIES 575

aleieng
Apprentice

I just registered to report the same issue that I have on my S100. It started as a mild problem after a few months of usage. I thought it was just the camera would not focus. Then it gradually become more severe and now it's completely unusable. I have been waiting Canon to admit that this is a design flaw, but I guess now I have to start calling Canon and BBB to have it fixed. 

The serial number of my unit is 44813200XXXX.

markiettan
Apprentice

same problem described here... we need canon to come up with a fix for free!

Im a strong supportor of Canon and their products and on this one they really do need to step up to the plate and hit a home run..take care of this problem for free. Im almost tempted to buy a S100, take it apart and see where the issue is, My guess was and still is the mounting, attaching of the circuit board that holds the shutter switch beneath the mechanical shutter button.

What is your serial number series, Markiettan?

seriel no 41803200XXXX

You are one of the lucky ones. Your camera is covered! Have you contacted your local Canon repair centre?

wow.. thats a pleasant surprise. any idea where is this list of covered cameras? I must admit I haven't read all 12 pages of this thread, only the first and last pages

I wouldn't get your hopes up about your camera getting covered. My camera is also within the range of numbers included in the recall, but the recall was for a completely different issue, a lens error. I'm no expert on Canon or any of this, but all my research and forum reading has shown that Canon will take the camera and diagnose the problem. If it's the lense error (which I understand is when the camera screen goes black and gives a lens error message), they will include it in the recall and cover the repair. If it's not, they will charge you for a repair. 

I actually just sent my camera in for repairs for this shutter release problem, and I was charged $175, with tax and shipping, for the repair, even though my camera is in the recall number range.

I also have the exact same problem as many users have described.

I am shocked as usually I have no problems with Canon cameras.

Here is my serial number:  46203200XXXX

Canon S100

1. What is being done by Canon for this fix?

2. What is the estimated repairs from Canon? Or is Canon offering these repairs for free as I suspect the damages may not be related to usage. 

I've been quite careful with my camera and to have the shutter problem all of a sudden came as a surprise. The length it takes to hold down the button to take a photo increases. Now it takes maybe 8-9s for the camera to take a photo! 

Thanks,

Thank you, Tiffany!
My camera with this issue is serial # 462132000XXXX. I wonder if they are part of the same "batch".
Does a Canon rep ever look at this site? ?

Announcements