cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

lens error

rtrout
Contributor

Hi! I got my camera around a year ago, and it was working fine. Recently, someone dropped my camera and the lens wont go in or out. iIs stuck open and zoomed out a little. I tried contacting the repair center, but they say my serial number doesn't exist or somehting like that... I'm not sure if anyone can help me, but is there anything i can do??? Should i try to push in the lens? thanks!

14 REPLIES 14

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
What model camera and lens?

Where did you purchase them? New or used?

The main reason that a Canon repair center might tell you that serial number does not exist would be for one of two causes. You misread the serial number.

Or, you have grey market merchandise, which means your copy was never intended to be sold n the US. This means Canon USA may not have all of the correct parts to repair it, so they don’t touch it.
--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Unless you did misread the serial number the only other cause could be grey market gear.

Here is Canon's official response:

What is grey market 

The bottom line is.

Canon will not even accept grey market products at their repair centers. No warranties or support. If it breaks, you are on your own.

"Should i try to push in the lens?"

The two worse things that you can do to a camera is, one, get it wet and number 2, drop it. I am guessing you have a Rebel with the kit lens. I.E., T3i, T5i, T3, T5, SL(x), etc. And,17-55mm lens.  If you do, try this:

Take the lens off of your camera.
Put the lens in MF mode.
Twist the FOCUS ring (the tip of the lens) all the way to one side (extend it). You may hear a click noise or two, this is good, but don't FORCE the lens.
Twist the FOCUS ring all the way to the opposite side (retract it). Again, you may hear a couple of clicking noises. What we hope is happening is the focusing motor being put back into its proper place.
Put the lens back on the camera.
Put the lens in AF mode.
Turn the camera on.
Put the camera in AUTO or P mode.
Take a test photo.

If you don't have one of those models don't try that but at this point you have little to lose. But first make sure you have read the serial number correctly.  Good luck.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Interesting post. Anticipating the result of the directions given.

Serial numbers have a habit of being printed in very tiny/micro print. AMHIK. I keep a magnifying glass in the desk and the shop, JIC.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG

Stephen

The best thing to do is simply send the camera and lens in for an evaluation. That way the Factory Service Center can physically see the gear and read the numbers on it, and see if it's actually damaged or just misaligned. They'll be able to quickly give a handful of options that will range from an in-warranty repair to not advising a repair it because it's not economical (it would cost more to replace it than to repair it). They will evaluate it for free.

Gray market is a gray area. It doesn't always apply to lenses and can be kind of tricky. The Factory Service Center would need to see the proof of purchase (receipt or invoice - not credit card statement) to help determine if it's gray market.

Don't get too caught up in semantics - we have to put in writing what gray market is so we're covered. As long as you have a valid proof of purchase showing where you bought it, and it's not a knockoff or a handwritten receipt from Crazy Ed's Used Camera Emporium and Imports (hopefully you get where I'm coming from), you should be fine! 

You can set up your repair online within your My Canon Account at canon.us/account

I really hope this helps point you in the right direction, and clear up some confusion! 

thanks for all the ideas. okay, so heres a few answers: 

1. I know this sounds kind of dumb, but my camera is really not that fancy. its a regular PowerShot SX620HS. Just dont want to buy a new one if I dont have to...

2. I am almost positive its not a gray market merchandise because I bought it on Amazon. (I'm saying, it says its made in China, but I dont think that counts:)

3. I can send in my Camera to get evaluated even if I cant put in the number? I cant figure out why it wont still... 

also, do i have to have the warranty in order for them to fix it?

Stephen: You said I can set up my repair online, which i tried...but the reason I couldn't do it was because of my serial number. Can I show you my number and you can try?

Screen Shot 2021-10-07 at 7.11.13 PM.png

@rtrout wrote:

thanks for all the ideas. okay, so heres a few answers: 

1. I know this sounds kind of dumb, but my camera is really not that fancy. its a regular PowerShot SX620HS. Just dont want to buy a new one if I dont have to...

2. I am almost positive its not a gray market merchandise because I bought it on Amazon. (I'm saying, it says its made in China, but I dont think that counts:)

3. I can send in my Camera to get evaluated even if I cant put in the number? I cant figure out why it wont still... 

Your reason #2 is actually a very good reason to suspect that is it grey market merchandise.  I did not realize that you were not using an interchangeable  lens camera body, either. It is usually cost prohibitive to repair many of the low cost, "point and shoot" compact cameras, most especially the older models. 

Sending it in to Canon for testing and a free estimate is probably a good idea.  Just remain cognizant of the total cost of the repair and the cost of a replacement camera.  Many more times than not, you come out ahead buying a replacement.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

How could I know if its a gray market merchandise? also, if thats the case, can i just send it to canon's address and not fill in the things online, or will they not take it at all... So basically, im better off just buying a new one....

Announcements