cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will Canon return to an articulated screen when the G16 is upgraded? The lack of one is infuriating.

fvanriper
Apprentice

I recently returned from leading our annual week-long photo workshop in Umbria (www.GVRphoto.com), and happily found myself using my G12 as my primary shooting and teaching tool. I loved its compactness during long walks through Umbrian hill towns, and the fact that I could work so well with it in manual mode. BUT I also loved its articulated viewing screen for making Hail Mary and low-level shots with precision and ease.

This is something I definitely could NOT do with the new G16 since Canon has foolishly decided to eliminate this feature on this camera (and earlier on the G15) as a way, apparently, to make the camera slightly smaller and lighter, as well as to lower the cost.

As a professional photographer and photgraphy columnist, who in the past raved about the groundbreaking G9, I find this to be false economy and a simply boneheaded move that needlessly eliminates a key feature on a potentially great P&S camera. Here's my take on it: www.TalkingPhotography.com

When, if ever, will Canon come to its senses and restore the articulated viewing screen?

--Frank Van Riper

photography columnist

Washington, DC

4 REPLIES 4

smack53
Mentor

To be honest with you, I have this feeling that Canon will be focusing its' attention on the G1X and G7X series from this pont forward. In my opinion, the smaller sensor G's are probably going to be phased out in favor of the larger sensor cameras. Since the G7X series is only slightly larger than the S120, I have this sneaking suspicion that there won't be an S130 (or G17 for that matter). I think the G7X will replace the G and S series in the near future. Sure hope I'm wrong!

Steve M.

Many thanks for the reply...but I still rank the G12 above the G1x and certainly above the G7x. Sensor size, etc. seems a little like the megapixel arms race: there are just so many you need. Others will disagree, but I am happy with what I have in the G12--it IS, after all, a point and shoot.

It's interesting that the G1x does have (sort of) an articullated screen--but one that is vitrually useless since it merely tilts. It also lacks severtal important and convenient analog controls (including the very valuable exposure value dial that is on the top left of the G12.)

For me the G7x is a non-starter. No eyelevel finder--no sale. Period.

Many thanks again for writing.

Frank Van Riper

www.TalkingPhotography.com

Frank,

I certainly agree with you about the G12. I love mine and have no interest in updating it with any of the new offerings in the G series either. The articulating screen was what sold me on it when I was deciding whether to get the G12 or Nikon's P7100 with longer focal length, bit with only a tilting screen. I don't use the viewfinder much, but when I need it, I really appreciate having it. I agree that larger sensors aren't always needed, unless you do a lot in low light. But the Photoshop Elements software really pulls a lot of detail from the G12 images (I shoot in RAW). I am always amazed at the capability of this camera, and hope that Canon will return to what made the G series so special. Like you, I love the layout of the G12 and the available buttons and dials make this an easy and quick camera to use and enjoy. Shooting in manual is a breeze with all the controls so readily available, yet the newer G16 seems to have moved some of the items back into menus.

I've even been on the lookout for lighty used G12's to get as a backup to mine if and when this one dies on me. The new models seemed really nice at first glance, but actually using them reveals a lack of the same control and feel I'm become accustomed to with the G12. Plus, I am not really happy with the overall image quality of the new G1X II and G7X and the lack of the articulating screen is mind boggling to put it mildly! I'm afraid that too many people subscribe to "smaller is better because I want to carry it in my pocket" theory, so somethings got to give to keep them happy. Hence, my summation that the G7X will replace the G and S series in the future. Too bad, since the G12 is one of the greatest cameras out there in my opinion!

Steve M.

John_
Authority

I agree Frank, I was hooked on the articulating screen since my first old G5 which I still have and use. It is a feature that I am not will to compromise on since there is no compromise. It just adds an extreme amount of versatility and as you mentioned the ability for good low level shots as well as over the head shots like in a crowd. I rarely if ever look through the viewfinder now. I have found other ways to brace my camera against my body or other nearby objects. Even those now celebrated "selfies" can be framed accurately. In short if  the camera does not have a movable screen, like my new SX50HS, I am not interested.

By the way, some great shots you took there on the link you provided !

Announcements