cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Webcam Issue | SX740HS

Dperron
Apprentice

Hello,

I am running into an incredibly frustrating problem when trying to use my PowerShot SX740 HS as a webcam. I have installed the Canon EOS Webcam Utility software and the SX740 is compatible. However, as soon as I plug the camera into my computer via a USB cable, the lens retracts and the shutter closes. It shows the computer icon on the screen of the camera but that is it. I can transfer photo/video files via the USB connection without issue. The camera is also in Movie Mode. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Dillon

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I think we both misread SX70HS as SX740HS

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Danny

Hi, Dillon!  EOS Webcam Utility works with the PowerShot G7 X Mark III, the PowerShot G5 X Mark II, and the PowerShot SX70 HS.  We're unable to ensure compatibility with other PowerShot camera models.  You can check out the complete list of supported camera models right here.

Hope this helps!

I don't understand this answer at all, you link to a page that list that PowerShot SX740 HS as supported. Is it possible to get a correct answer?

I have the same problem please and thanks in advance

Yes… It was very much a non-answer wasn’t it? I ended up returning this camera, so I unfortunately can’t point you in the right direction. Canon does offer a callback Service however, you can submit a request to have a tech phone you to troubleshoot. Not sure if it would be helpful, but it’s worth a shot. But I can 100% relate to your frustration, such an annoying problem with no clear answer

Honestly, it appears that you did not research this beforehand, if you did you would find that unless a camera is listed as compatible, it is not supported.  The SX740 is clearly not listed in Canon's and others' published lists of supported cameras for webcam use.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

As I said below, I misread SX70HS as SX740HS. My mistake. Camera has been returned. 

Might be a good idea to mark this thread as resolved, then you won't be bombarded with people trying to resolve this for you! {:-)

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

What's Confusing about Danny's answer?

Powershot sx740HS is not listed as supported on the WebCam Utility download page:

shadowsports_0-1651165439051.png

Nor is it listed on the 740's download page:

shadowsports_1-1651165488946.png

This might not be the answer you both are hoping for, but its not officially supported.  If you want WebCam support, choose a supported model to ensure compatibility.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I think we both misread SX70HS as SX740HS

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

I did a search on line and checked multiple sources of information on this issue.  The PS SX740 is NOT compatible or supported for use as a webcam.
For example, see:
Canon U.S.A., Inc. | EOS Webcam Utility
Which Canon Cameras Can Be Used As A Webcam? (Full List) (bwillcreative.com)

It cannot be assumed that any camera can be used as a webcam - that is true of any brand.  Did you research this before you committed to buy?

cheers, TREVOR

Announcements