cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The format in my SX50 screen is grayed. How to format a new SD card? Laptop reads it but not camera.

amyle
Contributor

Hi, I'm new to the community and have my first Canon. Love the camera, an SX50 HS, but am having trouble with a new SD card. It is a Lexar 128MB SD. I have it in the unlocked position. When I put it in the laptop it reads the card and says folder is empty. My son had a few songs on it, but I deleted those. When I put it in the camera it says card error and that it is locked. I figured it needed formated to the camera, but the format is grayed out on my camera. Anyone know what I should do? 

9 REPLIES 9

John_
Authority
Yes since your camera is new Id say call Canon. I have 2 SX50 cameras and also love them. It is the camera that reads the position of the Lock switch on the card. Call Canon since your camera is still under some kind of warranty. Be sure the lock switch isn't changing position when you insert it though I've never ever had that problem. And since the card functions in a computer that eliminates it as the source of the problem

smack53
Mentor

I'm sure hoping you mean the card is 128GB, not 128MB. If it is 128MB, that camera is not compatible with that card.

Double check that the card is in the unlocked position. I've had it happen to me that the card got locked when I inserted it into the camera. You might also try a camera reset all from the menus. If that doesn't work, take the battery out for about an hour, then before inserting the battery, press and hold the power button for about 10 seconds, install the battery, and see if you can format the card. Also, if you have another card, see if the camera will allow formatting with the other card installled.

Steve M.

amyle
Contributor
Thanks for the reply. You have saved me a lot of trouble 🙂 It is 128 MB and not GB so now I know the problem. I am a total newbie so thank you much for your help 🙂

I have an old 3 megapixel camera that used the 128mb card, and tried to use it in a newer 14 megapixel camera and had the same error. With the higher megapixel counts, the photo file would be too large to even fit on the old card. So glad it wasn't the camera itself! Happy shooting!

Steve M.

amyle
Contributor
Thanks for replying to me. I just found out the card is not compatible with my camera because it is MB and not GB. I need to check on which cards are compatible! I have one that does work so I will just get another like it 🙂

Thats good news glad its not your camera!

As an FYI I've used up to a 256GB card in my SX50 which is way more than I need but it worked too.

amyle
Contributor
Thanks 🙂 I am happy it isn't my camera too. I love this camera so much!

Your welcome and when you get a chance google this photographer he does a whole series of "how tos" in photography AND he uses our camera the SX50...I think there are 10 parts on you tube on all the different areas of photography his title is M West Photograpy....I learned an awful lot wathcing them Smiley Happy

https://www.youtube.com/user/MWESTPhotography

amyle
Contributor
Oh, thanks! I still don't even know what all the settings are so that will be so helpful 🙂 I will subscribe tonight.
Announcements