cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting my SX50 SH to shoot in RAW

FlorencePonk
Apprentice

After deciding to try using RAW images instead of JPG, I turned to my user manual to set my Canon SX50 SH to shoot in RAW. According to the instructions on page 146 of the manual, my camera seems to be missing some of the options.
It says to press the func set button, followed by JPG / RAW but I don't have those options available after pressing the func set button.
I have 1) "single shot"   2)Aspect ratio    3)SIze   4)movie setting
those are the only choices. According to the manual there should be a lot more in that menu
Can you help me?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

John_
Authority

What shooting mode are you in, RAW is not availabe in Auto, Movie Digest or the Sports Scene mode.

It is available in P, Tv, Av and M modes

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

John_
Authority

What shooting mode are you in, RAW is not availabe in Auto, Movie Digest or the Sports Scene mode.

It is available in P, Tv, Av and M modes

That was the problem. Thanks so much.

your welcome !

I've been following this as I have the same question.  I did everything you advised.  But I am only seeing the jpegs when I download the photos to my computer.  

How are you trying to do that? You have to use the Canon Digital Photo Professional software to view Raw imaged on your computer. If you do not have it you can download it for free, with your cameras serial number I think was required. from the support page on Canon

FRom there woild I drag it to Gimp to resize it?

Then how do I get the raw file to the Canon photo professional software.  My photos automatically open in Apple' Photo.  My camera is taking the photos as raw and jpeg at the same time, I guess.  The jpegs are opening in Photo.  Will the raw files open in this new software automatically?  Or how do I get them there?

I am not familiar with Apple products, however, as in Windows, there must be a way to set the default program to open photos on your Apple product and then you can select all or which ones you want to transfer via the Digital Photo Pro software. Lets see if someone who is familiar with Apple chimes in. Meanwhile, look at your settings for program defaults then for photos chose the Digital Photo Pro. Also in Windows, it gives me an option to "open with" then I can choose the program. Apple has to have something similar.

Thanks. I'll try.
Announcements