cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Powershot SX70 HS Adapter Ring for protector lens not fitting

richapple
Contributor

Per another thread suggestion I bought a 58mm metal lens adapter so I could add a slim-line style UV lens for protecting the main camera lens (SX70 HS). Identical lens stuff as the SX50 and SX60 I think, and the one that arrived (ebay) has "LA-58SX50" printed on it (which oddly faces the camera body side rather than the inner threads side that would face out). But while it can be placed and lined up, it doesn't turn at all. They are supposed to be put on with the obvious lineup, but then turned a bit I think. This one when lined up can be pushed down, but it is jiggly and would easily come off.

non-turning adapter in placenon-turning adapter in placeThe photo shows the lens adapter set into place, but it cannot be turned at all in order for it to be tight and not able to just fall off.

I've watched a YouTube how-to video or two, and it's supposed to be able to turn once placed, and then it allegedly clicks.

Sorry if there's something dumb I'm just not getting, but if there is, I'm way open to hearing it! THANKS!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

richapple
Contributor

Sorry to take anyone's time with this (time that could be better spent sitting in an Orangoutang enclosure to get great photos, possibly even including an obscene gesture by said Orangoutang), but I am going to leave here these two images that I hope show manufacturing defects for my eBay purchase. One from the threads side and one from the side that attaches to the camera. (I say "hope" because if the two I have on order now from Amazon with free returns - can just walk them into a "Whole Paycheck," aka "Whole Foods" - do check out and work and are different than the eBay one, then perhaps I'm not a numbskull.)

The eBay seller is cool with a return next week if need be. (Ever notice that eBay has the capital B when their name is shown as Text, but their logo is all lower case?)

phew...

IMG_1387MfgDefMaybe.jpeg

IMG_1388MfgDefMaybe.jpeg

View solution in original post

It looks like this one was 3D printed.  Mine one was cast or moulded.  Sorry this supplier did not do a good job.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

What brand of filter did you purchase? The User Manual on page 246 mentions Filter Adapter FA-DC67A so not sure if the part number you mention is equivalent.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

I was purposely not getting the Canon FA-DC67A because it puts the size way out to 67mm. I understand the step-up can be to 58mm without an attached filter messing with the image around the edges as long as the filter is slim-line. Hence the "part number" of LA-58SX50 for the adapter I bought. Perhaps it was too much of an off-brand, ebay being ebay...

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

I recommended a 58mm adapter ring for the SX camera as I have had four of them and in all cases the adapter ring I got fitted perfectly.  As these are made by 3rd parties, it is possible that different brands have different tolerances.  I can't post a link here (against policy).   I used the same filter ring for the SX50 and SX60 series without any issue.   I checked to make sure that the lens on the SX70 has the same lens as the 50 and 60 series before I recommended this.
It's been some years since I got the adapters (I got a couple), so I don't have the supplier details, but I got them from eBay and they fitted both the lens and filters perfectly.   I don't have any PS SX?0 cameras any more to demonstrate on, I'm afraid, but I can vouch for the fact that the ones I got worked pefectly.

This is an image of the one I still have sitting in my filters box:

Dia 58mm adapter for SX50HS.jpg
As I recall, some folks with similar adapters had difficulty as they were trying to fit the unit on back to front.  Have you tried reversing the adapter on your lens to see if it fits that way round?  The filter thread obviously faces outwards.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Thanks, Trevor. No "For canon..." around the outside diameter like the one you show (though was in the eBay listing images), and yup - threads accessible from the outside... eBay seller was 99% good reviews, so must have been just bad luck. The depth of the ring is 3/16 of an inch (freckle over 5mm), and there are no little notches to line up with the little notches on the camera lens (per another how-to video).

Hmmm.  That is not what it should look like.  My filter has flanges that line up with the same units on the lens front.  I have taken a shot showing the kinds of flanges that I mean.  It is essentially a bayonet mount to fit that of the camera lens.

Notches.jpg

cheers, TREVOR

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Absolutely, I would not have recommended this size filter adapter if I did not have absolute proof that this solution did not work.  I selected the vendor, based on the number of positive experiences for that vendor and I was not disappointed in using them on the SX40, 60 and 60 models.
On eBay there is one US vendor (ITdigitals) who is selling this filter (mine is a metal one), you might want to contact them to confirm their unit works for your camera.  This vendor has 99.5% + feedback and a selling score over 38,000.

cheers, TREVOR

Thanks, saved a listing for ITDigitals. Will see what 'itricity" has to say since I sent a message describing the problem. That seller is in NY and yes, metal ring adapter. My purchase was for the 58mm adapter specifically saying Powershot SX70 HS... It will work out. Thanks!!

richapple
Contributor

Sorry to take anyone's time with this (time that could be better spent sitting in an Orangoutang enclosure to get great photos, possibly even including an obscene gesture by said Orangoutang), but I am going to leave here these two images that I hope show manufacturing defects for my eBay purchase. One from the threads side and one from the side that attaches to the camera. (I say "hope" because if the two I have on order now from Amazon with free returns - can just walk them into a "Whole Paycheck," aka "Whole Foods" - do check out and work and are different than the eBay one, then perhaps I'm not a numbskull.)

The eBay seller is cool with a return next week if need be. (Ever notice that eBay has the capital B when their name is shown as Text, but their logo is all lower case?)

phew...

IMG_1387MfgDefMaybe.jpeg

IMG_1388MfgDefMaybe.jpeg

It looks like this one was 3D printed.  Mine one was cast or moulded.  Sorry this supplier did not do a good job.

cheers, TREVOR

Announcements