cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PowerShot SX70 HS Auto focus won't work at close up

Reneeandjerry
Contributor

1.  Hi.  I have a Canon PowerShot sx70.  I keep it set to auto mode, because  I'm a beginner.   When I zoom in on something  close, like a bee, etc, the subject  won't focus for me.  If I back out of zoom, subject  is clear.  I've tried toggling  to macro, and still doesn't  work.

2.  Also, at times, the shutter button doesn't  work at all.

Any help is so appreciated.   I get stressed at going into all the settings, so I keep on auto.

6 REPLIES 6

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Almost certainly you are trying to get too close to the subject. Every lens has a minimum focus distance, even in macro mode, and if that distance is breached the camera will not focus properly and if it cannot focus at all it will refuse to take the photo.  You just need to go back a bit and you should find it works OK. 

It should be noted that the minimum focus distance reduces with your focal length and while it is tempting to zoom in to magnify the subject, that pushes that distance further away, thus defeating the objective.  So, if you find you can't get a lock try widening out the zoom

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Reneeandjerry
Contributor

Thank you.  It seemed to work before.   I thought macro was for close up pics?  What does widening  out the lens mean?

@Reneeandjerry wrote:

Thank you.  It seemed to work before.   I thought macro was for close up pics?  What does widening  out the lens mean?

He means zooming out to a shorter focal length.  

One way to describe a lens is by measuring of the “angle of view”.  This measurement is described in degrees.  Lenses with short focal lengths are often described as “wide angle” lenses for this exact reason.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Response to OP: Thank you.  It seemed to work before.   I thought macro was for close up pics?  What does widening  out the lens mean?

Even macro has limits.  Your camera has a variable focal lens: that means it can take pictures of things by narrowing down what it sees to effectively bring things closer.  Generally, this is intended for distant objects and the closer the object the less zooming you do.  Macro is extremely large in the image viewer and for that one generally has the camera close to the object, but not TOO close.  If you zoom in (use a greater focal length number) you have to move further away as the minimum focusing distance increases.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

20220813_151805.jpg

 I was able to get this last year.  I thought  I did the same recently  by getting  close.  I need to try further back.  I just won't  get this good of a picture  I'm guessing.   Thank you again.

I recommend going onto YouTube and checking out some videos on macro photography.  Also, perhaps get some general photography tutorials under your belt to help you understand how cameras work - that will give you much more control over this and other situations and you will get the most from your camera.  A dedicated camera is very different from a cell phone for example, it requires a much deeper understanding of the three main elements of getting a correct photo: Shutter speed, ISO and aperture, so I recommend doing some research.

cheers, TREVOR

Announcements