cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PowerShot SX60 HS - takes photos but then shuts down

charliewass
Apprentice

I have a PowerShot SX60 HS, probably about 7 years old. When I take a photo the image flashes up briefly, the light then flashes green for around 15 seconds before the screen then goes black and the camera seems to turn off (but the lens does not retract). The images are not saving to the SD card. Can anyone advise me what the issue is please? Thanks you in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Start by resetting the camera to default settings.

Do you have more than one battery and memory card to test with?

The issue is either related to power or hardware.  

Test power and battery:

Power on the camera and review images on the memory card.  Just do that for a minute or two.  Does the camera run without shutting off and allow you to cycle through images over and over?

Let the camera sit and let the screen shut off, now press a button to wake it and continue reviewing photos.

Next, put the camera back into shooting mode and point at a subject.  Half press the shutter button.  Do this for a minute over and over without taking a photo.

If the camera works continuously the battery is probably OK.  If not try another one.

Memory card:

Are you using a full-size memory card in the camera?  or a micro size card with an adapter.  Only full size cards are recommended.

If you have a second card, test with it too.  If you have photos you care about on the card, copy them to a safe place.  Now format the memory card in the camera.  Does this complete successfully?

If the camera continues to shut down after a photo is taken, does not write to the card and cannot be "revived" after taking a photo, the camera has likely suffered a hardware failure.  At that point your best course of action will be a new camera as the cost to repair the SX60 will likely exceed its value.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Start by resetting the camera to default settings.

Do you have more than one battery and memory card to test with?

The issue is either related to power or hardware.  

Test power and battery:

Power on the camera and review images on the memory card.  Just do that for a minute or two.  Does the camera run without shutting off and allow you to cycle through images over and over?

Let the camera sit and let the screen shut off, now press a button to wake it and continue reviewing photos.

Next, put the camera back into shooting mode and point at a subject.  Half press the shutter button.  Do this for a minute over and over without taking a photo.

If the camera works continuously the battery is probably OK.  If not try another one.

Memory card:

Are you using a full-size memory card in the camera?  or a micro size card with an adapter.  Only full size cards are recommended.

If you have a second card, test with it too.  If you have photos you care about on the card, copy them to a safe place.  Now format the memory card in the camera.  Does this complete successfully?

If the camera continues to shut down after a photo is taken, does not write to the card and cannot be "revived" after taking a photo, the camera has likely suffered a hardware failure.  At that point your best course of action will be a new camera as the cost to repair the SX60 will likely exceed its value.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Hi Rick 

Thank you so much for your detailed response, I really appreciate your advice!

The only issue I noticed when reviewing the images was that while some photos were fine, others were only shown very small with the caption 'unidentified image'. The camera seems to 'sleep' and 'wake' as I would expect so I think the battery seems OK. 

I tried to format the memory card and this did not fix the issue. I notice that formatting the memory card is meant to erase all the photos which did not happen so I don't think the format worked properly. 

I have ordered a new memory card, hopefully this is the issue as opposed to the hardware.

Thank you again for your help, very much appreciated! 

All the best,

Charlotte

Charlotte

Announcements