cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PowerShot G7 X Mark III Help transferring photos to computer and iPhone

missmariss24
Apprentice

Hello!! 

I just purchased the Canon G7X Mark III, and am having issues transferring new photos from camera to iPhone/computer.

I am using an SD card from my old camera canon rebel t7i to my new Canon G7X Mark III, and I am unable to transfer any new photos taken on the G7X Mark III. All the photos are on the camera but when I go to use Wifi or Bluetooth it only shows old photos from my other camera, not any new photos. I have also tried plugging the SD card straight into the computer and they are not there either. Any help would be super appreciated. 

4 REPLIES 4

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Conventional wisdom says that one should first move the photos taken by the previous camera onto a computer, then after placing the card into the new camera, format the card using the new camera's format command.   This is because different generations of cameras may not utilize the same file structure.  Formatting the card in the new camera will ensure that images taken will be recognized by the new system.
It is possible that the files have not been recorded.  If you have the SD card in the new camera, can you see the new photos in view mode?  If not, it is likely they have not been recorded.
If that is the case, copy the old images across to a computer, then format the card in your new camera.  TBH, I would really suggest, if you want to use the old unit, that you keep the card for it with that camera, and get a new card for the new camera.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Thank you for your help! I can see the photos when I play them back on the camera… that’s the weird part. Is there anything I can do then to get them off the camera?  I will for sure get a new SD card I am just really hoping I can get those pictures off the old one. 

You could always use a card reader.  Many laptops have a built-in SD card reader.

————————————————-

FYI:  I would like to point out that the Canon apps do not always download every image file it might find on the SD card inside the camera.  Automatically downloading every file it finds can result in duplicate image files being downloaded to your computer.

To correct for this undesirable circumstance, the camera/app will keep track off which files have been previously downloaded.  The next time you connect your camera to download NEW images, the previously downloaded images will NOT BE displayed.  

This means that te Canon apps may only display image files that have not been previously downloaded.  This is just one reason why do you do not want to start swapping memory cards between cameras.  It is also a best practice to carry spare memory cards.  Resist the urge to purchase memory cards with a high storage capacity.

Because the Canon apps may only show you “new” image files that have not been previously downloaded, the apps also provide an option for the user to select and choose which image files on the SD card inside the camera you wish to download.  

You may not always want to download every new image file.  Selecting files to download will actually show you ALL image files stored on the memory card.  You should be able to see “new” and “old” files.  

Try selecting the option to select files for download.  You just might find your missing files.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

One thing you could try is to connect the camera itself to your computer via a cable. This is outlined in your manual, Alternatively this may work... See this video: Connecting your camera to a computer via WiFi 

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements