cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nicked Lenses on PowerShot G11 and G12

capncking
Contributor

I have a Canon G11 and a G12 and both have a small nick on the lense in the exact same spot.

Is it possible to have these cameras refurbished? I hate to dispose of them.

Thanks for any help!

10 REPLIES 10

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

I wouldn't bother, it probably does not affect image quality

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2022/11/how-front-element-scratches-affect-your-images/ 

normadel
Authority
Authority

Ditto. Stuff on the front of a lens doesn't show up in images. It is too far from being focused-on. It takes a real lot to have enough effect on light transmission for you to see something.

How did both get nicked in the exact same spot?

capncking
Contributor

Thanks! Not sure how they both ended up with a nick in the same spot since the lense cover automatically closes when in the off position. Also, the nick or scuff does show up on the picture.

I would really like to hear from Canon as to whether they can refurbish these cameras.

Replacing a lens element is *not* refurbishment!

So if its "not" refiurbishment my question is can it be repaired--as in a lense replacement whether or not it is worth it

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

OP states: "Also, the nick or scuff does show up on the picture."

You could give canon a call at 1-800-OK-CANON. Unfortunately I would suspect the cost of repair is not worth it. Maybe try going to an auto glass repair facility. They have material they add to windshield chips that helps to make them less visible. Nothing to lose since you aren't getting defect free images now.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thanks much John--this is what I was looking for.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Hi capncking,

You will not hear from Canon here about repairs. You can make an inquiry for this on the support portal or My Canon.

Canon Support | Service & Repair | Canon U.S.A., Inc.

Both of these cameras are 10 or more years old. When service is performed Canon returns a device to factory specifications.  If this is not possible due to parts availability, Canon will not service the device.  This type of repair would require that the entire lens assembly be replaced.  Even if parts were available, the labor alone will far exceed the value of the camera(s) 

Please consider the advice you received from kvbarkley above as expert.  You are however welcome to check with Canon support. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thanks Rick--this is a big help!

Announcements