cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PowerShot SX200 IS Memory card error

JerryButorac
Apprentice

Out of nowhere, I came up with a memory card error on my canon power shot sx 200 is. Any suggestions on how to correct the problem?

36 REPLIES 36

xtremeleafan
Apprentice

Hi, I have a Canon SX 30 with a 32 Gig Sony memory Card. I'm finding that occasionaly when I take a photo and try to review it, the display will say "unidentifed Picture" with a question mark in place of the photo. Any ideas as to why?

I think ytou hjave the same problem I have with the memory card.  It is probably too big for the camera.  I'll bet if you drop down to a 16 bit card, you will be ok.  In my case, I was wanting to use my camera as a  movie camera, rather than having to take two cameras on a trip.  Guess I am back to taking the two cameras, as the digital film is less expensive than taking a whole bundle of 16 gig cards!

Bandai

Thank You for your suggestion. I will give that a try...

Hi Xtremeleafan,

Thank you for posting.

If you've used this card for a while and if it's been a while since you formatted the card, some of your images may have become corrupt. To resolve this, I recommend saving all images and movies to your computer, then formatting the memory card, in the camera and using the low-level option. Here's how:

1. Press the <Power> button on the camera.

2. Press the <MENU> () button.

3. The following screen appears on the LCD monitor.

Operate the <directional buttons> left or right to select the [Set up] () tab.
Operate the <directional buttons> up or down to select [Format].
After making a selection, press the <FUNC./SET> () button.

4. The following screen appears.

Operate the <directional buttons> left or right to select [OK].
NOTE
  • We recommend that you perform low level formatting when you think that the recording/reading speed of a memory card has dropped, and when you want to erase data completely.
  • When performing low level formatting, select [Low Level Format], and then operate the <directional buttons> left or right to display the () mark.
  • Low level formatting may take longer than standard formatting, since all recorded data are erased.

5. The following screen appears.

Operate the <directional buttons> up or down to select [OK].

6. The following screen appears, and then the memory card is formatted (initialized).

7. The following screen appears.

Press the <FUNC./SET> () button.

8. When formatting is completed, the following screen appears on the LCD monitor.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thank you for your advice. I have formatted before,but never a low level one. I will try that....

I have experienced the same Memory Card error on the Canon Powershot A520 when I put in the SanDisk 8 GB Memory Card in the camera today.  What should I do to correct this? Thanks.

grotenydia
Contributor

This is really annoying. Have you locked your SD adapter? Or running CDM on a PC can help you fix SD problems. The ultimate solution for SD card repair is to format it. If you have to do it, be sure to back up your SD card.

Announcements