cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G7x turning off constantly

WonderToast
Apprentice
So, I've been having issues lately with my g7x just turning off all the time. It will turn off literally a few seconds or a minute after booting up. The battery is fully charged and the camera is reading it as such, so I don't think that's the issue. I can be actively doing something (be it taking a picture or scrolling through settings or whatever else) and it'll just shut off.

It also isn't detecting the memory card half the time. I've tried several cards (all of which are read perfectly fine by my computer and friends' cameras) to no avail. Sometimes if I take the card out and put it back it'll read it, but then a minute later it'll lose it again.

Any ideas what the deal is or how to fix it? I've had the camera for less than a year, I'm gonna be pissed if I have to replace it.
3 REPLIES 3

Stephen

Hi WonderToast,

Thanks for reaching out to Canon USA, we're happy to help!

Without knowing a whole bunch about your situation, it sounds like you might have a loose battery/card door. That will cause your camera to power off and not be able to read cards. 

We suggest reaching out to our US-based technical support team for some one-on-one troubleshooting so we can get to the bottom of your issue. 

If your camera is within its one year warranty period, you won't have to pay to repair it unless physical damage is causing the problem. 

Our team can be reached by calling 1-800-OK-CANON (800-652-2666) from 10am to 10pm (ET) Monday through Friday (excluding holidays). 

If you're outside of the USA, you'll want to head HERE and select your country/region for support options. 

WonderToast
Apprentice
Upon further inspection, it seems that may be the problem. If I hold it down tight when I switch the latch, it seems to fix it, but I'll have to take it out for a test run before I'm sure it'll stay closed tight. If it continues to come loose, is that something I can easily fix myself, or would you recommend sending it in?

Hi WonderToast! 

We recommend sending the camera in for repair instead of trying a DIY repair. If you are in the United States, you can get the repair process started HERE. If you are outside the United States, we recommend reaching out to Canon in your country for repair options. You can find Canon in your country HERE.

We hope this helps! 

Announcements