cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G5X Mark II Firmware Update Problem

ArifiKoseoglu
Apprentice

Hi,

A couple months ago I bought a second-hand G5X Mark II. After using it happily for a while, I noticed that there was a firmware released (1.1.0) after the one on the camera (1.0.1), so today I attempted to upgrade.

I downloaded the firmware update's zip file from Canon's web site (Filename: psg5xm2-v110-win.zip) and extracted the contents of the file (a file called PSG5X2_110.FIR and a folder with instruction documents). Since I run a Linux computer, I decided to use the "upgrade from SDCard" method. Following the procedure in the instruction documents, I formatted the card in-camera, inserted it into a card reader/writer and copied the PSG5X2_110.FIR file onto the SDCard (which is a 128GB SanDisk Ultra, which I have been using with the camera since day one). After performing the follow-up steps as described in the document, the camera displays the following error message and stops the procedure:

"Update file error. Please check the memory card and reload the battery and try again."

I will deeply appreciate any pointers on this issue. Thanks in advance for your time.

Kind regards,

Arifi Köseoğlu

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Stephen

Not a tech, but I used to be.

When you download the zipped file, extract its contents onto your PC. Copy ONLY the .fir file onto the ROOT of the newly formatted SD card. 

Once you've done that, put the card back into the camera, and then set the camera to P mode, tap the MENU button, navigate to the yellow wrench icon, then down to the Firmware option, and press SET. From there, you should be met with the Update camera firmware screen. It will confirm your current version of firmware, and ask if you want to update the firmware. Navigate to OK and press SET again. 

If this sequence of events doesn't happen, you may want to re-download the firmware, as your downloaded file may have been corrupted somehow. In the USA, it HERE.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Stephen

Not a tech, but I used to be.

When you download the zipped file, extract its contents onto your PC. Copy ONLY the .fir file onto the ROOT of the newly formatted SD card. 

Once you've done that, put the card back into the camera, and then set the camera to P mode, tap the MENU button, navigate to the yellow wrench icon, then down to the Firmware option, and press SET. From there, you should be met with the Update camera firmware screen. It will confirm your current version of firmware, and ask if you want to update the firmware. Navigate to OK and press SET again. 

If this sequence of events doesn't happen, you may want to re-download the firmware, as your downloaded file may have been corrupted somehow. In the USA, it HERE.

ArifiKoseoglu
Apprentice

Many many thanks Stephen. I was already following the steps you described, but probably my download from the European site was (or was getting) corrupted. With the file from the link you provided the all worked fine. Cheers!

Arifi

Announcements