cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dust in Retractable Lens - PowerShot G7 X Mark III

smoore1271
Apprentice

Hi everyone,

I have a PowerShot G7 X Mark III and there is dust in the retractable lens, possibly on the back of the glass. It looks like there is a flat rate of $380 to send this into Canon to get fixed, but I am not sure if they can even fix it? I have not been able to get an answer from Canon on if this is possible.

Wondering if anyone else has had this issue and if they have fixed it? I have seen videos on drilling a small hole through the lens barrel but is definitely not ideal.

Thanks!!

3 REPLIES 3

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Welcome to the forum.

How severe is the problem? It is not uncommon to have dust in a lens, particularly lens that change size when zooming. As the lens extends and retracts it "breathes" and air is brought in. Air that contains dust to a greater or lesser dgeree, depending on the environment.

Is it affecting your image quality?

Even if a somehow drilled a hole in the barrel and removed the dust (a very bad idea IMHO) it will return as you use the camera.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Hi!

It is affecting image quality. Multiple black spots in photos, large and small and worse in bright light. If I sent it in I am not sure if it is even fixable since it is a retractable lens?

Thanks,

Shannon

@smoore1271 wrote:

Hi!

It is affecting image quality. Multiple black spots in photos, large and small and worse in bright light. If I sent it in I am not sure if it is even fixable since it is a retractable lens?

Thanks,

Shannon

If it is visible, then it is probably dust on the image sensor, which does not mean there isn't any dust inside of the lens ass'y.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements