cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dark screen when trying to take any photos and videos on a Powershot S3 IS

jaxentchase
Apprentice

I recently received a Canon Powershot S3 IS from my passed away father. Viewing photos works, all settings seem to work, but there is nothing but a black screen when trying to take photos or videos. It’s as if the lens cover is on. However the lens is cleaned and there’s nothing obstructing the view. 

3 REPLIES 3

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi and welcome to the forum:

Just to clarify: is the camera actually recording an image if you press the shutter?
If so, have you tried cycling through the display options by repetitively tapping on the DISP button - Ref P16 of the User Guide.

If you have not yet done so, I would recommend downloading the Advanced User Guide for your reference and assistance - here is a link: PowerShot S3 IS (c-wss.com)

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

I’ve cycled through using the DISP button and there are setting, menu, and functions visible on broth screens. However there is no outside image available. Whether looking through the camera or on the screen there is no images except the digital settings, grids, and other camera information. If i click to take a photo or video, it will, but the image is black the same as the screen. I have tried factory resetting as well. 

It sounds like the sensor or motherboard has failed.  Sadly, the camera is so old it is no longer supported for service and even if it was, it would cost more than it is worth.  If your camera is not working, you can use the Canon Upgrade Program to replace your current camera with a new or refurbished Canon camera for a discounted price and have it shipped via ground delivery.   You can contact Canon USA at 1-866-443-8002 from 9:00 a.m. until 9:00 p.m. EST Monday through Saturday to speak with a Canon Upgrade Program representative. 

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements