cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon PowerShot A90AS: Menu only allows "Transfer" and "Resume"

marcgrobman
Apprentice

Hello,

I’ve enjoyed using my Canon PowerShot A590 IS for many years.

Today, as I've done successfully many times,  I tried to Erase All Images. But when I press Menu, the only options I can select are “Resume” and “Transition.” Pressing the bottom "MF" button just toggles between them, and all other selections, including Erase All Images, are grayed.

How can I again make the Erase All Images option accessible again?

Thanks,

Marc

3 REPLIES 3

Richard
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Marcgrobman,

Thank you for taking time to post.

So we may better assist you, please let us know the following:

• How many images do you have on your camera's memory card?
  • What brand/ model/ size memory card are you using in your camera?
  • Has your camera reported any error messages?
  • Is the write-protect switch in the "locked" position (away from the metal contacts?
  • Are you able to select the "Format" option in the settings (wrench & hammer icon) tab?
Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

• How many images do you have on your camera's memory card?

Sorry, I do not know. I do know that after I reported this problem I still had room on the memory card because I was able to take more pictures and download them to my PC. And when I went to the Format option you asked about it said 7.4GB and only 106kb used

• What brand/ model/ size memory card are you using in your camera?

A year ago I replaced the original memory card, as it could only hold about 30 pictures, with one that has substantially more memory, but I do not know the brand. I assume the size is a bit more than 7.4GB if that’s the above reading means. Ever sinceI installed this memory card I’ve never again seen an error message saying no memory was left.

• Has your camera reported any error messages?

No, at least not in word form. But if an error message appeared in the form of an icon or symbol I might not have noticed it. My user’s manual index doesn’t show a listing of error messages.

• Is the write-protect switch in the "locked" position (away from the metal contacts?

I’m not familiar with the write-protect switch or the metal contacts you refer to. The only switch my user’s manual identifies is the “mode switch.” If you’re referring to something else please describe and I’ll check.

• Are you able to select the "Format" option in the settings (wrench & hammer icon) tab?

Yes! Of the three menu headings (the one on the left with first option listed “slide show” and the middle one with first option “print”) the selections under the settings heading are the only ones that appear accessible, including the “format” option.

Thanks again for responding!

Marc

Update!

Hi Richard,

Regarding your question

Looking through my user’s manual I happened upon a mention of the “write protect tab” (A very good user’s manual, if it only had a more complete index that included "write protect" something and many other items.) The card was in the unlocked position. I tried putting it in the locked position, and got warning messages it was in the locked position, but I still could not access any Playback menu options other than Resume and Transition. I unlocked the tab again and put the card back but still could not toggle to Erase All Images.

Regards,

Marc

Announcements